I'm 20 years old wanting to go from a 36DD(nearing E) going down to a B? Can i get a reduction?

They feel so heavy, and have constant back pain and also my bra straps have worn down on my shoulders causing small creases! I don't feel like they even belong on my body :( I weigh about 140 pounds, and am 5'5

Breast reduction

I am so sorry you are dealing with these issues, but the good news is, you can do something about it! Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you would be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. I have to say, breast reduction patients are among the happiest of all my patients. There is typically an immediate improvement of physical symptoms, and not being restricted by your breasts is undeniably freeing for these women. Best of luck!  

Breast Reduction

Of course you can get a breast reduction, but whether that surgery is covered by insurance is another story, The quest for coverage may go on for months to years as you try to fulfill the unnecessary hurdles your insurance company will put in your way. In the end, your choice of surgeons may be very limited, and you may end up paying a portion of the surgery anyway.  My recommendation is to find an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. If money is an issue, then look into the many companies that specialize in medical financing. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction?

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems related to breast enlargement. From your description, you would likely benefit greatly from a breast reduction procedure. Fortunately, you live in an area with a great many very qualified plastic surgeons. Overall patient satisfaction with breast reduction remains very high. Many patients have told me that they feel relief from upper neck and back strain almost immediately following the procedure.

Every insurance plan is different, but many require documentation of symptoms and some form of conservative treatment. Your primary care physician can work with your plastic surgery office to organize the appropriate pre-approval request.

I would only caution you about having your heart set on being a B-cup following the procedure. Breast reduction is taught to plastic surgeons as an aesthetic operation. We first and foremost want to obtain a better breast shape without over-reduction. The amount of excess tissue removed should be appropriate for your frame size, and should not be dictated by an arbitrary weight. Unfortunately, insurance providers tend to look at this operation as a weight-reduction procedure. It is not. Your plastic surgeon will work with you to obtain an improved shape and size that you can enjoy for the rest of your life. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Yes you can get a breast reduction

From your description, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery, which would make your breasts smaller, proportional and lifted.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. You describe the classic symptoms of overly large, dense breasts. Neck, back, shoulder pain, shoulder strap grooving are just some of the physical manifestations of the problems cause by large breasts. Not to mention the difficulty in finding clothing that fits and flatters a young woman such as yourself. To me, breast reduction surgery is one of the most gratifying surgeries that I perform as its effects are practically immediate, (you can tell the difference in the recovery room!) and it really makes a significant effect on your life style going forward. In fact, the only common regret I have found, is that women wished they had had the procedure earlier in life!  As young as  you are, this procedure can really have a positive effect on your life moving forward. In most cases, your health insurance will cover the surgery with documentation/recommendation from your primary care physician.

Consult with a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area

Regards, 

DD to a B? Breast reduction.

Thanks for your question. From the statistics you have posted you sound like a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery. There are different techniques for breast reduction based upon your goals for size you your PS will have to examine you and see which makes the most sense. See a board certified PS to begin the process. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

It seems like you might be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. This is often covered by insurance. Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what options are available for you. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction candidate?

I am sorry to hear about the problems your disproportionately large breasts cause. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Generally speaking, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.  The concern regarding reductions to very small breast size is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.    

.

In my opinion, successful outcomes with  etc. surgery depend on:

1.  Careful selection of plastic surgeon (and from the surgeon's  standpoint, careful selection of patient).  I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

2.  Careful communication of goals ( which I will discuss further below).

3.  Skillful execution of procedure ( preoperative, intraopererative, and postoperative patient management).

In my practice, I would ask that you NOT communicate your goals, or evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed, based on cup sizes.  There is simply too much variability when it comes to bra sizes between bra manufacturers and even store employees doing the bra fitting measurements.

Generally speaking,  for the benefit of patients undergoing breast reduction surgery:  it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. Again, I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication.

In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of  computer imaging and/or goal photographs,  as you have done here.  Obviously, the outcome associated with the breast surgery will not necessarily match that of goal photographs perfectly, but they do serve as a better communication tool that subjective terms such as "natural", "proportionate", "flat"… Evaluating goal photographs also allows for a plastic surgeon to determine the consistency of the patient's goals and allows for a discussion of realistic expectations as well.  

***Needless to say, when it comes to achieving patient satisfaction with the outcome of surgery,  it is very important that a patient has consistent goals (fully decided on what she would like to achieve) and a good understanding of realistic expectations (what outcomes can and cannot be achieved). 

Best wishes with your decision making and for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.