Im 18 and i wear a 48DD and my doctor WILL NOT referre me to get a BR and i have really bad body aches from them HELP!

Breast reductions and insurance referrals

#breast reduction can be life changing and I encourage you to continue your research and your attempts for insurance coverage if available.

Make sure your insurance requires a referral. Make sure your insurance will actually cover a breast reduction. Many insurance carriers have written the surgery our of their policies.

If you need to look at having a breast reduction done out of pocket, a Board Certified plastic surgeon will be able to quote you pricing. It may be worth considering. With the high deductable plans it can be less expensive than using insurance.  

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Im 18 and i wear a 48DD and my doctor WILL NOT refer me to get a BR

Thank you for your post.  Did you primary care physician state a specific reason why he or she won't refer you for a breast reduction?  The operation provides many benefits in relieving the stress on your back, neck and shoulders and also helps with posture.  If you have large breasts causing back/neck pain, a stable normal weight, not a smoker, and are overall healthy, you would be a good candidate for the breast reduction procedure.  You can always get a different primary doc if a referral is required by the insurance.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction

If your primary care doctor is not willing to help you get information on a breast reduction, then he/she is not doing their job. If your insurance requires a referral, then you need to get a different primary care physician. Breast reduction is a dramatic life changing experience and the first thing any older patient says after the surgery is "I wish I had done this sooner".

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction is a great procedure to relieve neck and shoulder pain

Thanks for your question. I can appreciate the frustration. At 18yo if your breast shape is stable then you are a potential candidate for the procedure. The tradeoff of having scars on the breasts is the reduction in weight and resuspension of the breast. This relief of strain on the neck and shoulders is consistently an improvement to patients who have hypermastia. If you are healthy, not obese, not a smoker and psychologically mature enough to make the decision then I don't see any reason you can't be considered. You have to be honest with yourself however and see why your doctor is not recommending this. Furthermore, your doctor might have referred his patients to a particular plastic surgeon in the past and not been pleased with the results his patients got. All of this needs to be discussed with your current primary care physician. If you satisfy all of the above criteria then you can seek out a plastic surgeon on your own to help you. Worst case scenario is that you might have to pay the consult fee yourself. Perhaps that person can then communicate with your primary care physician to get a referral if needed. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Scarless breast reduction

In younger patients like yourself with that big a chest a traditional reduction is a formidable undertaking with the potential for major scars. We have had some wonderful results in doing the liposuction only procedure. It's a quick easy safer outpatient operation which can get you down several cup sizes and make you much more comfortable. Worth looking into. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in this and see if it makes any sense for you.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

You don't have to have a referral to go see a PS for this issue. Often we will work closely with another medicine dr who helps us streamline things to insurance to try and get the reduction covered. That doesn't ensure it will be though. So you may have to pay out of pocket for it in the end. But still, you can go see a PS to get that started regardless of what your current PCP does. They're often afraid of plastic surgery or causing you harm because of the awful ways the media portrays plastic surgery, but we are really not like that and want the best for our patients. 

Breasts Reduction Referral Problem...

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing;  based on your description,  it may be time for you to seek a second opinion from another primary care physician (assuming a primary care physician referral is mandated by your insurance company).

Unfortunately, patients seeking to undergo breast reduction surgery through insurance companies will often need to be patient and persistent.

Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon (make sure that he/she has significant/demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with) and careful communication of goals will be key.