10 weeks post, feel big from side, under muscle hematoma complication, possible muscle repair failure? (Photo)

I had a full TT and MR 10 weeks ago. I developed a hematoma shortly after (9.5cmx7.5cmx3.5cm) which left a large bump. It went down a bit so my doctor chose to give my body time to try to reabsorb it. Well, now I feel less of a bubble and now a hard bump, and it feel really tight--super uncomfortable. I also feel really huge from the side. When I lay down, my profile looks good, but when I stand, it doesn't. Could my hematoma caused scar tissue? Could it have caused a muscle repair failure?

10 weeks post, feel big from side, under muscle hematoma complication, possible muscle repair failure?

It is hard to say as we don't actually know what happened to you. You could have developed the hematoma because you were too active too early (commonly patients return to sexual intercourse too soon or lift something too heavy) and popped your muscle plication suture. It then tears through the muscle causing bleeding which leads to a hematoma. The hematoma is solid at first which fells like a hard lump. Over ~7-14 days it liquefies and softens down. At this point your body may absorb it or it will drain out (either manually by your PS or through the incision at your belly button). If it stays in there, it can get infected as blood loves bacteria. It won't be obvious if your muscle repair is intact until everything calms down.

10 Weeks Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It also may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

If you find that your are concerned or worried about your swelling or any other post-op feelings it is a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.