On a 1-10 scale, how severe is my case of gynecomastia? And am I a good candidate for surgery? (Photo)

I am semi-athletic, my gynecomastia is not simply from being fat. I had it even when running 6 miles per day in high school. Does this mean it is actually glandular tissue rather than fat? I know cost varies widely, but can you also estimate the cost of the surgery without insurance? I am aware some insurance does cover this type of surgery and I fit the requirements, but I am trying to figure out if I should get cheap insurance and pay for this out of pocket or get good insurance. I am poor

On a 1-10 scale, how severe is my case of gynecomastia? And am I a good candidate for surgery?

Your condition is fair and not very prominent.Gynecomastia by definition is prominent breasts in men. True gynecomastia is comprised of hypertrophy of the actual glandular tissue. Most men who we have treated at our institute with prominent breasts have a combination of increased glandular tissue along with excess fat.

When the prominent breast is comprised primarily of fat, a liposuction may be the only procedure recommended. In most cases , however, we will excise the gland through an incision in the areola. Although physical exam is the best way to tell how much breast tissue may be present, your photos do show prominence of your breasts. If the findings on photos is verified by a physical exam, then you would be a candidate for lipo and excision.

Always search for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck.

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate & Costs

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

#Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

Gynecomastia not so bad

Having seen many, many cases of gynecomastia, I can say that your condition is definitely not bad. It can be corrected, although I highly doubt insurance would cover it because it's an aesthetic condition rather than health related. Depending on the technique applied, this would cost about $6000 to $8000 in Toronto. You can break up the payments monthly with financing.

Ronald Levine, MD

Gynecomastia and Insurance

I would rather use an adjective like "moderate gynecomastia". Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. Insurance will not cover this condition.
See the below links for more information.

#Gynecomastia&Insurance

Gynecomastia

Insurance generally doesn't cover gynecomastia surgery.  Photo shows breast tissue (not fat).  All men have breasts.  Some have more than others depending a number of factors.  True gynecomastia surgery (which you will want as opposed to simply liposuction which alone is inadequate) costs $5,000 and up.  You will need surgical excision of the gland and chest wall lipo.  Choose someone with experience.  Half of the cases I see are re-dos.

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia

If the size of your chest bothers you, it is serious to you. No need for a scale. Search for a plastic surgeon with expertise in gynecomastia surgery who will leave you with the desired look, evenness of your chest and the minimal amount of scarring.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

It appears from your photos that you have mild-moderate gynecomasta.  Although a physical exam is required to make any formal recommendations, you would likely benefit from just liposuction breast reduction surgery.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Average Gynecomastia

Dear Space_Guy,

Your case of gynecomastia looks pretty middle of the road for cases we take to surgery. Gynecomastia has two components, the subcutaneous fatty tissue normally found under the skin all over the body as well as the enlarged glandular tissue which requires excision. Patients frequently complain of “puffy nipples” particularly when the weather is warm.

Although insurance companies frequently claim that they cover gynecomastia, the reality is these precertifications are always rejected by them as being cosmetic in nature, and therefore not covered.

Gynecomastia surgery is one of the most common procedures performed in my practice. Seek a surgeon who does many per year. We offer a technique with no scar on the chest and no drainage tubes.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, M.D.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia is a combination of liposuction and glandular tissue removal

Gynaecomastia is an abnormal development of fatty & Glandular tissue which cannot come out of your body in any way except surgery so should be treated only through surgery (removal of glands and fatty tissue is must) by a ASPS certified surgeon and without removing these components from your chest, Gynaecomastia will never go (no matter how much you exercise).
To ensure “no ugly scarring”, I’ve modified the traditional comprehensive technique that after doing liposuction of the marked area, I use a very small & “Unique Trans-nipple" incision to remove the tough Glandular tissues that cures the condition completely. This technique is proved to give maximum patient satisfaction and optimal results.
The cost may vary depending upon the location you choose to have the surgery, and most of insurance providers don't cover it. All the best!

R. K. Mishra, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Real gynecomastia is breast tissue=Gland.

Real gynecomastia is breast tissue=Gland.That seem the condition you have, true gynecomastia .The only and best  treatment is excision of the gland.Insurance does not cover it.It is safest to see an experienced gynecomastia surgeon who performs many ach year. 

Mordcai Blau, MD