Can surgery for a prolapse uterus/bladder/bowels/apron of skin & fat, diastis recti & possible hernia be completed at once?

I am 42, a Phys Ed teacher & have a 29.9 BMI w/a grade 3 uterine/bladder & ? bowel prolapse & signifigant diastasis recti, big apron of skin/fat, & ? adhesions from c-sections. 2 laprascopic surgeries for endo & a complex ov. cyst. before PG1(1/07) was an emergency high & wide c-section(hip to hip) & was repeated w/PG2(8/09). PG3(11/11 D&E @ 14WKS-when pain in coccyx began) & 4(1/12) were m/c's & 5 was an unplanned VBAC w/a 3rd degree vaginal tear in 12/12. Should my insurance cover any of it?

Staged procedures after #weightloss are usually safer when considering multiple surgeries

It is always tempting to combine procedures and we sometimes do as plastic surgeons if deemed safe: breasts and arms, breasts and tummy-tuck (mommy make-overs), buttock and tummy-tuck, etc.

But combining different specialists is not a simple task and entering various body compartments in one setting is also not always the safest.

Intraop and post-op care can also get confusing.

Moreover, in Canada, some of your procedures are paid by our health systems and done in hospitals versus the cosmetic ones more often done in private facilities.

Consult with your surgeons and see how they can either accommodate or stage all the procedures you are interested in.  Ultimately, your safety is the priority.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Marc DuPéré, Toronto aesthetic plastic surgeon and body surgeon.

Combination surgery

It always seems like a great idea to combine surgery, but this is often not really the case.  It is difficult to efficiently schedule surgeons from different specialties to work together, the leadership during and after surgery gets confusing, and patient care and safety can suffer as a result.  Often gyn surgeons prefer to use blood thinner for their patients, but the risk of complications of bleeding is too high with tummy tuck. As always, ask your surgeon, but I recommend against combination surgery. 

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon