Droop in left eye, do I have ptosis? Should I get surgery for it if I do? (photo)

I have had a droop in my left eye for as long as I can remember. I know that my eyesight is weaker in my left eye, but it bothers me how the left eyelid is lower than the other. I don't know if I should get surgery in the future or not to fix this if it is ptosis.

Ptosis

The timing of ptosis repair is elective, so seek a consultation - or two - prior to signing up for surgery. You should see an oculoplastic surgeon who is familiar with the meticulous details of surgical repair of the levator. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

Thank you for your question.  There is mild ptosis (droopiness) of your left upper eyelid.  You have two options: 1. do nothing and leave it alone.  2. follow up with an oculoplastic surgeon for surgical evaluation.  Good luck! 

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis should be addressed by an Oculoplastic surgeon

Your photo shows a subtle ptosis on the left side. Further evaluation by an Oculoplastic surgeon, a fellowship-trained eyelid specialist, would give you the best chance of a proper diagnosis regarding the health and function of that muscle, which would determine the appropriate surgical approach for your particular ptosis. Achieving the results you seek, given the subtleness of your ptosis will require expertise, so spend some time choosing your surgeon. 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

You have a slight ptosis on the left.  If this bothers you it can be corrected surgically.  See an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate the eyelid muscles.  Can probably lift from the inside so will have no scar.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droop in left eye

You are a great candidate for surgery to lift the left lid but only if it really bothers you.  The option of surgery will always be there so don't rush into it.  It should get to the point where you are bothered by it everyday. When you're ready make sure you see an oculoplastic surgeon who deals with this on a regular basis. Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon