Recovery time and help after mommy makeover? (Photo)

Having breast lift with augmentation and tummy tuck with lipo in feb, what the normal recovery time, how much help will I need after the procedure?

Recovery time and help after mommy makeover?

The recovery experience will vary from one patient to another but, generally speaking, the recovery experience associated with tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery is often underestimated by patients. In other words, it is a significant operation associated with a significant recovery, both from the physical (and often) emotional standpoints.  It is not unusual for some patients to require several months before they regain preoperative strength/stamina/energy levels.   What I have observed  is that many patients are about 70 to 80% of their energy level at the 4 to 6 weeks post op period and may require 3 to 4 months before they are 100%.  Again, it is not unusual for patients to experience significant emotional "ups and downs" as well.

Therefore, I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery” of 4 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.   Most patients require at least 2 to 4 weeks off work, depending on their job requirements;  I also ask patients to have full-time help for at least one to two weeks after the procedure is performed. Of course, experiences will vary from one patient to another but (again) many patients do not return to full strength and stamina for several months after the procedure is performed. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this, in my opinion, is over-promising.

I have attached some advice I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

The term “ Mommy Makeover” has many different definitions depending on the surgeon and entailing different combinations of procedures. Many patients with sedentary lifestyles can resume most activities following most  “Mommy Makeovers” after three weeks. From what you describe as your combinations of procedures 4-6 weeks is more realistic.

I would suggest the following:

·   Make sure that your weight is stable, since these procedures are not a replacement for weight reduction.

·   You should see your primary physician before surgery and get medical clearance before undergoing the combination of procedures.

·   Make sure that you have the proper motivation to undergo the surgery and that you have realistic expectations.

·   Allow adequate time for recovery.

·   Patients who have young children should make sure they have enough help and support at home during the time of recovery.

·   Seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon that is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and, ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

·   Discuss your desired outcome with the surgeon and be fully informed of the pros and cons of the various surgical procedures

·   Know the risks as well as the benefits of the procedures.

·   Understand that healing occurs over several weeks and that you may not see the ultimate result for six months to one year, during which time the results improve.

·   Be aware that you will feel tired for several weeks after the procedure.

·   If the procedure is going to be performed in an office based facility, make sure it is accredited by an organization like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities and that you be observed overnight in an appropriate facility that has had adequate monitoring.

·   Follow your surgeon’s instructions. You are a participant in your own care.

·   You can’t shorten the period of recovery, but you can lengthen it by not following instructions.

·   No matter whether you have an active lifestyle or sedentary a one, there should be no heavy lifting or strenuous exercises for 4-6 weeks.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Mommy make-over recovery time - how much help will I need?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.

• Your own surgeon should give you specific advice but this is the general approach
  • Your recovery will be easier and shorter if your surgeon injects the tummy and pectoral muscles with Exparel, an anesthetic that lasts 3 days.
  • You will not be able to lift anything heavier than 15 pounds for 4 - 6 weeks - so if you have small children, you will need help if they need to be lifted and carried.
  • You should do absolutely nothing except look after yourself for 2 weeks and must have help during that time.
  • If you do not work, after 2 weeks you are likely to tire easily but can manage on your own -
  • But no heavy house work, gardening or major grocery shopping x 4 weeks because of the lifting required.
  • So a lot depends on whether you have young children to look after, a supportive husband or other family to help and if you work. So get the information you need from your own surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Recovery after mommy makeover

Thank you for your question. Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc.  Patients can return to light activities almost immediately after surgery, normal activities 2 weeks after surgery, and vigorous exercise 4 weeks after surgery.  We usually experience a slow steady improvement for 3 months or so after surgery. It is important to have someone with you for the first day or two after the surgery to help you out. 

Mommy makeover recovery

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Generally women need to be off work if they work outside the home for two weeks.  I would recommend having someone available to help for a minimum of 3 days, longer if you have small children at home.  You won't be able to drive at first, so you may want to arrange for someone to help you with that early on.  The early stages of recovery will go quickly and you'll be enjoying your new look before long!

Camille Cash, MD

You may need 1 to 2 weeks before returning to a sedentary job and 6 weeks before returning to exercise.

I would try to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of these procedures and who has pictures and reviews you like.

Dr. Derby Sang

The recovery after a TT is a process that can last up to 6 months. During the first month post- op inflammation will be minor, then a residual inflammation that remains will go disappearing slowly over the following months. patients manifest the greatest degree of discomfort in the first two weeks . After these weeks, the pain is much less and the patients feel very well, especially because the drain is already gone. The only help you would need is someone who can massage to speed up your recovery time.

best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Healing and Recovery Time After Mommy Makeover

Healing after the  mommy makeover will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full , no restrictions, at 6 weeks. Considering the different procedures that can be combined there will be different time needed for swelling to reduce and scars to settle. The best thing is if at any point you have concerns about the healing process to visit your surgeon for another follow-up to make sure that all is going well.

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  In general the muscle repair portion of the tummy tuck is your limiting factor for recovery and I advise patients taking at least two weeks off.  Hope this helps.