Juvederm to make a subtle change in top lip? (Photo)

I'm happy with the fullness of my bottom lip but my top lip has always been smaller. Now that my jaw has changed a bit having braces, I feel my top lip about disappears when I smile. I don't want a huge change, just a bit fuller on top. My PS nurse suggested juvederm and that I could probably purchase a half syringe and start very small and see how I like it. Can I only do the top lip? Is that okay?

Fuller bottom lip

In general the bottom lip should be larger then the top lip. This relationship should be maintained to preserve the natural look. 

Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Balance with Juvederm to lips is essential for natural results

Yes, you can have Juvederm in your top lip only. The whole idea of lip rejuvenation is to balance the upper and lower lips so the ratios are correct. 

I do believe that you only require a tiny correction of your upper lip. If you have more filler done, than your lower lip should also be corrected to keep the ratios correct. This gives the most natural look. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Juvederm

Thank you for your question in regards to Juvederm. Yes, you can only inject your top lip if that is what you want. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Fillers can be injected to either the upper, lower or both lips to give shape and size.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm to make a subtle change in top lip?

Hi, Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, your upper lip is a bit thin in proportion to your lower lip.  Juvederm or Restylane to the upper lip would add volume creating fuller, more balanced and proportioned lips.

Hope this helps.

Top lip alone for Juvederm is ok

Yes, by all means try the top lip and see if you like the effect.    Generally we try to search and find an area for a full syringe because a half syringe costs 3/4th as much a a full syringe.My Best,  Dr Commons

Would I benefit from Juvederm in the top lip?

Hi MMFeb, Juvederm in the top lip can result in a very nice enhancement in the contour of the upper lip. I usually advise patients to try a small amount and see how they like it. More can always be added for greater effect if desired.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to contour and add volume to the top lip works well

You can certainly only have the top lip injected. However, ideally the lower lip is proportionally smaller to the lower lip. A general rule is 1/3 for the upper lip and 2/3 for the lower lip. A skilled and experienced injector will be able to suggest what is the best approach to enhance the top lip and then provide the results you expect while maintaining optimal proportions and a natural look.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Top lip

Yes, you can put filler in the top lip only if you desire.  But remember, the lower lip is commonly fuller than the top lip.

Lip filler

You can certainly only inject the upper lip if you want.  Juvederm or Restylane Line of products can be used.  It is quite possible to create a more subtle look by adjusting the amount that is injected.  Be wary of injectors who will sell you a portion of the syringe.  Either a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon would be the best ones to consult with.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist