Is this swelling normal 10 weeks after Tummy Tuck/Muscle Tightening? (photos)

I had a tummy tuck +muscle repair/tightening 10 wks ago in another Country an 11 hour flight from mine. At my final check up 9 days post-op, my PS was pleased I was not really swollen. I was excited and thought a flat, tight and defined stomach would emerge over time. But, it is 10 weeks now and my tummy is round and protruding. It appears that my stomach muscles are almost as loose as it was pre- op. I weigh 3.2kg less than my pre-op weight so this is not weight gain.Is the swelling is normal?

Sources of post-tummy tuck fullness

Thank you for the question and photos.  There are a variety of sources for fullness or roundness after a tummy tuck including:

-excess intra-abdominal fat

-excess extra-abdominal fat (under the skin)

-loose abdominal muscles

As you can see, a detailed exam and evaluation would be needed to determine which of these would be the likely sources of your abdominal fullness/roundness.

I recommend seeking guidance from your plastic surgeon and if necessary see a plastic surgeon in your community.

Dr. Remus Repta

10 Weeks Post Op

At 10 weeks you will still have residual swelling- it can take many months for inflammation to leave the area. Any diastasis recti repair which was done should be documented by your Plastic Surgeon and explained to you if you ask. I recommend that you stay in contact with them to talk about your concerns as you heal.

All the best

Swelling after abdominoplasty

Is difficult to say from your photographs, exactly what might be swelling or a loose abdominal wall. But at 10 weeks postop, you can expect quite a bit of swelling that may even change day by day. You will probably have a better idea of your final result after another three months.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Post operative swelling after tummy tuck

Swelling will continue to improve gradually for several weeks to months.  You should see gradual progress and post operative garments can help speed this process up.  Make sure to stay in touch with your surgeon to follow your progress.

John McFate, MD