Could I be considered for a mommy make-over? (Photo)

I'm a 31 year old mother of 8 year old twins and a 6 year old. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2012. I manage my condition through diet and exercise, but I'm very obese, 5'3 245 +/- lbs. If you need any other information, please ask!

Candidate for a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question and photos. My advice would be for you to see a board certified plastic surgeon in person for a consultation. He or she can assess your anatomy to determine what you can realistically expect from surgery.  You need to be cleared for surgery if you are diabetic.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

What is a Mommy Makeover

A tummy tuck is a wonderful procedure to contour the abdomen, hips and into the back. It consists of three main components:

1. Removal of excess or loose skin
  2. Repair of stretched muscles of the abdominal wall
  3. Removal of subcutaneous fat of the abdomen and hips
Every tummy tuck is individualized to each person, no two tummy tucks are the same. Some people need muscle repair and no skin removal, some with skin and fat removal and no muscle repair. Also, the length and position of the scar varies based on the anatomy of the patient. Here are some examples of names and types of tummy tucks:

• Mini tummy tuck
  • Tummy tuck with an umbilical float
  • Tummy tuck with a "T" extension
  • Standard tummy tuck
  • Extended tummy tuck
  • Circumferential or belt tummy tuck (also know as a lower body lift)
  • Fleur De Lis tummy tuck
This is a major operation and should only be performed on healthy patients in ideal situations. Child bearing will need to be finished (permanently) as any future pregnancy will ruin the results. Smokers are not invited as smoking damages the blood vessels necessary for proper healing and the cigarette smoke deprives the cells of much needed oxygen to survive.

A major break through in pain control after tummy tucks has occurred recently, the use of Exparel. Exparel is a long acting local anesthetic that is injected into the muscle and skin at the end of the tummy tuck procedure. It lasts 3-4 days and allows the patients to be almost pain free in the immediate post operative period. This allows for less narcotic use, better ambulation, decreases the potential incidence of blood clots in the legs and quicker return to normal activity and work. It also allows for this procedure to be performed as an outpatient in an ambulatory surgery center.

Tummy tucks can also be combined with other procedures such as liposuction, Brazilian Butt lifts, breast implants, breast lifts, breast reductions, arm lifts and thigh lifts. These combination procedures are referred to as the "Mommy Makeover". Of course, mommy makeovers are all customized to each individual and may require just liposuction to the abdomen and not a tummy tuck. The cost and recovery will vary from each combination procedure, there is not a set price for the "Mommy Makeover".

Based on the demographics and photos presented I would recommend the following:  I am unable to evaluate based on the photos.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete examination.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your twins. Let me say that you look a very happy person even though your natural concern for your figure.

My recommendation for you is to solve your main problem first : obesity and diabetes. The Bariatrics procedures for obtaining massive  weight loss will not only help you with your obesity but also may you improve your condition of diabetes type 2, that is why they are also called Metabolic Procedures.

That is what you have to look for first, your health. After loosing a significant amount of weight and maybe getting rid of your diabetes, you may go for a Body Contouring Reconstruction.

But remember your life is first for your kids and family, improve your health before any other thing.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Could I be considered for a mommy makeover?

You could be considered for a mommy makeover procedure.  However, you should first be certain that your diabetes is under good control.  The risks associated with the surgery will be less if you can get you weight below 200 lbs.  this weight reduction will also improve your results.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive mommy makeover experience.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover weight

Definitely try to get to your goal weight as it will only improve your results and make surgery safer for you.  Seek out several consultations with board certified PS in your area.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - impact of diabetes

So I think at 5'3" getting under 200lbs is going to significantly improve your outcome.  I strongly recommend a visit in person with a plastic surgeon to evaluate your priorities in your mommy makeover.  Best Wishes!!

Could I be considered for a mommy make-over?

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am always concerned about patient safety, and the inherent risks that surgery entail.  Yes, a mommy makeover is possible, but if you want the best long-term results, continue your course of a healthy diet and exercise to reach your goal weight. This is a weight that you find yourself comfortable at, and can maintain in the future.  Any amount of weightloss will not only improve your results, but lower the risks of surgery, including wound development and skin healing.  

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step.

Dr Derby Sang

Yes , you can do a mommy make over , of course being overweight you will a bit higher risk of complications but if monitored well this can be handles without a problem. I am pretty sure you will very happy with your results.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD