What can I do for my constantly tired looking eyes at 34? (photo)

It's quite upsetting to see these bags, darkness, puffinness and wrinkles

Eye bags

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Tired Eyes

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your concern. Under eye dark circles often referred to as tired eyes can stem from hollowness under the eye. Hyaluronic acid injectable fillers such as Restylane can be an excellent treatment option in restoring volume. I would recommend an in person exam with an experienced injector to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rejuvenating under the eye--lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers

A combination approach would be best. Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye hollows. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Best, Dr. Emer.

Correcting Constantly Tired Looking Eyes

What you have is best treated with a filler. Juvederm Voluma, Radiesse or fat are the only ones I would recommend for this. Not even a blepharoplasty or mid-face lift will contact the problem. This, however, requires significant expertise. Make sure you see an expert injector who has the above options. (See ExpertInjector.org and plasticsurgerytoday.com/non-surgical/todays-liquid-lift-wrinkle-and-contour-correction/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Under eye fillers

Thank you for your question and photos. You have very attractive eyes. Often people feel they look tired and the most common cause is hollowing under the eyes. Hollowing is a common problem as we all age but it can be hereditary and in young people like you. Fillers under the eyes is helpful for rejuvenation. Other options include fat grafting (longer term than fillers but requires some downtime). Good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark hollows under the eyes can be improved with fillers

We see a number of young women like yourself in our office who have dark circles under their eyes. The reason for this is due to two things. Shadowing of the hollow grooves or troughs under the eyes is one reason, and this can be treated. "Transparency" of this thin skin showing the color of the underlying muscle cannot be treated. Surgery is definitely not an option in your case since you do not seem to have loose skin or fat herniation. I would recommend very careful conservative use of fillers to eliminate the grooves and the shadowing effect. We use either Juvederm or Voluma depending on the thickness of the tissue and the underlying bony anatomy to achieve our long-lasting results.

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

I prefer a conservative approach to tired eyes and puffy eyes in younger patients

While it is somewhat difficult to tell exactly what your eyes look like from this one image, as lighting and perspective aren't optimal, I think I can safely say at least that your lower eyelids appear to have good position and tone, but there is some hollowing where the lid and the cheek join, or the so-called "lid-cheek junction."  We commonly call this hollowing the "tear trough," and in young people like you, I like to inject fillers into this area.  My favorite filler is Belotero, although others can be used as long as the injector is skilled and uses the proper amount in the proper location.  I also like to use fat as a graft if we want a more permanent correction.  Another thing to consider that isn't directly involving your eyes, but which gives the eyes and oveall "tired and drawn" appearance, is your cheeks.  You are beginning to show some loss of volume and some settling in your cheek pads, and this can also add to the hollow appearance of the lower lids.  Injecting some filler like Voluma or Radiesse to the cheek can produce some lifting effect of the cheek and refill the lost volume and create more support for the lower eyelid.  Again, you don't have to use a huge amount to get this effect, so it's best to consult with only people who do this a lot and have a lot of experience in this kind of facial volumizing and shaping.  Best of luck!

Under eye treatment

There are a number of options available to you.  You can consider some filler to help better contour the under eye area.  Laser treatments can improve the quality and appearance of the skin.  Many patients also find improvement with microneedling (Skin Pen) treatments to improve the overall look.  Visit with a plastic surgeon in your area to formulate a customized treatment plan.

Camille Cash, MD