When should I get a mommy makeover consultation if I want to lose 35 pounds before procedure? (Photo)

I am 39 with 4 children ages 12-2 and I'm 5'2" weighing approx 185 wanting to be 150 lbs before mommy makeover by next year. When should I get a consultation?

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year.  In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Am I ready for a #mommymakeover #plasticsurgery consultation

Thank you for your question and photos.  You could definitely schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon at this time, look for one who is a member of one or all these organizations:
*Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle

I hope this is helpful.  Very best to you.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

When should I get a mommy makeover consultation if I want to lose 35 pounds before procedure?

You can get your consultation at this time.   You seem to be a good candidate for all of these procedures.

Los Angeles, CA..........

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  You can schedule a consultation as soon as you would like to discuss your goals going forward.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Consultation for mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• It is reasonable to have your consultation now.
  • Generally a consultation up to a year before surgery is fine -
  • Your surgeon will probably want to see you again nearer surgery.
  • But planning the procedure can begin now.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Timing of consultation?

I think the earlier the better - this will allow more time for planning all the way around - timing of surgery, identifying the specific operative plan, obtaining a quote, ensuring all your questions are answered - and most importantly - be sure you've had time to find a plastic surgeon you trust who seems to understand your goals. 

I hope this helps! Good luck with the weight loss - you can do it! 

Stable weight prior to Mommy Makeover

I think that it makes sense to wait until you are close to your planned body weight prior to having a consultation.  That way, the plastic surgeon will be able to accurately assess what surgery would best serve you.

Stable weight needed for Mommy Makeover

Once your weight has been stable for 6 months or longer then you should consider body contouring surgery.  The actual weight is not as important as the stability of the weight, you would not want to have a tummy tuck performed and then loose a lot of weight and have to undergo another tummy tuck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with "mommy makeover" surgery; you are wise in planning on achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding. I think you will receive the most accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations once you are approximately 10 pounds within your goal weight. Otherwise, if you seek consultation too early, your physical examination may change significantly. Select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well. Prepare yourself both physically and (possibly) emotionally  for a significant recovery time as well. Best wishes.

Timing for consultation

Dear TK4076:
I would suggest you give yourself 2-3 months to see how much weight you can lose.   Then I would recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.   Best wishes with your weight loss goals.  

Dr. Basu
Cypress, TX