I'm experiencing severe pain in my left breast, arm & on my left side down through my waist.

My breast implants are over 20 years old. This pain is also on the left side of my neck. I've had a CT scan & blood work. Now he wants me to have an MRI. He is very vague about my diagnosis or maybe he just doesn't know. Any ideas as to what can be causing this constant pain which also causes me to feel bad daily?

Neck pain

Your neck pain is very unlikely to be related to your implants.  However, continue to find out what is causing your pain.  Good luck to you.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Neck pain 20 years after breast augmentation surgery

Thank you for your question. I am glad to hear that you are being worked up for your neck pain. After 20 years with the implants, your neck pain is not likely to be related to the implants. I would follow the direction of your physician. Without a detailed history, physical exam, and knowledge of prior surgeries, I really cannot give you a reason why you may be having neck pain. 

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Difficult diagnostic problem

This is an unusual combination of symptoms that may or may not be related to the breast implants.  The reason the surgeon is vague is because they don't know what is going on, nor would anyone else.  This may take some time to sort out.  Imaging studies and visits to multiple doctors may be required before you have a diagnosis.  In the end, if it turns out only to be related to your implants, they need to come out with the scar (capsulectomy) with or without replacement.  They are old enough that even without the symptoms, they need to be removed or changed.

I'm experiencing severe pain in my left breast, arm & on my left side down through my waist

I agree with the extensive work out and the breast implants may just be a red herring. Make sure you follow up with your MD.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon