I'm about 15 lbs from my goal weight. Will it make a huge difference in my Breast Lift and Augmentation?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight Loss

Congratulations on being close to your goal weight! We encourage patients to be approximately 10-15 lbs away from their goal weight at the time of consultation in order to ensure the most accurate measurements and sizing. If you tend to carry weight in your breasts, you may lose a little volume with any weight loss post surgery. Best of luck! 

Goal weight and breast surgery

Great question! Everyone carries fat differently. It depends a lot on how much body fat you have now, and where you carry it.  You should expect to lose some volume with weight loss. But I highly doubt it will be of a significant volume.  What is more important is that you are at a stable weight that you can maintain, ensuring a longer lasting result.  For example. Women who bodybuild will often lose 15-20lbs during there preparation.  Not uncommon to lose a cup size.   If they have implants, they usually lose most of their breast fat since they are sub-10% body fat.  They often say at this time, that they wish they "had gone bigger" with their implants:)  But I always reassure them that this contest preparation is only temporary, and a normal body fat will return.  With that said, the most common statement at 1 year after augmentation across all my patients is " I wish I would have gone a little bigger. "  I have yet to experience any of my patients say "my implants are too big."  I focus on extensive preop discussion on the size, shape, profiles, desired outcome prior to surgery.  So, I hope to never hear that complaint!

hope that helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Breast Augmentation / Lift - Weight Loss

Thank you for your question.  The weight loss could cause changes to your breasts, but it's hard to say.  If you typically see a change in your breasts with weight loss / gain, then you'll likely see a change.  An in person evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon would be your first step.  Best of luck. 

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

Weight loss before elective surgery

Thank you for your question. Without photographs or more details about your height, weight, bra size, degree of ptosis it is impossible to give you sound advice. However, you may want to consider undergoing a breast lift alone without implants. If you have enough tissue to re-position and reshape your breasts using The Bellesoma method, you might reduce your risks and complications associated with implants. Feel free to browse through my gallery to find someone who is similar to you to see how you might benefit. I have attached a short video of a patient who simply wanted to be lifted without using implants. I hope this helps.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight before breast lift and augmentation

This answer to your question is - it depends. The breast is composed of both fatty tissue and breast tissue. The percentage of fat vs. breast tissue varies from person to person. That's why some women say if they gain a few pounds it makes a big difference in breast size and others say they could gain or lose a lot and it make no difference. Therefore, if you traditionally see a significant change in breast size with weight changes, then I would wait until you are closer to your goal weight, otherwise the weight is probably a non-issue.

Please put your front, side pictures. These pictures are easier to see if they are taking by someone else not close to the camera of the area you are interested only to give you a better answer. 

What are the basic tips to know if I need a breast augmentation or breast lift? It all depends on the position of the nipple on the breast. The further down the nipple is in relation to the fold the more the chances are the patient needs a lift.

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants. 

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Is it the right time for you to consider breast surgery

Dear archerbabycakes:

It is difficult to answer your question without a formal physical exam.  Here are some things you should consider.  Do you think you will lose volume from your breasts should you lose a few more pounds?  If you think you will lose the weight from somewhere else on your body, then you can likely opt for cosmetic breast augmentation now.  However, if you think you will lose weight from your breasts, its probably a good idea to opt for your breast augmentation and lift once you've reached your goal weight.  Its best for you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.   Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Cypress, TX

I would suggest that you get closer to your preferred weight prior to surgery…

Generally speaking, significant weight loss (for example greater than 10 pounds) can potentially affect the results of breast lifting surgery. For this reason, it is best for patients to achieve as close to a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing breast lifting  or any other type of elective plastic surgical procedure. Achieving this long-term stable weight prior to breast lift  will minimize the chances of further surgery will be necessary (in the event of breast changes associated with weight loss that occurs after the surgical procedure).

Go for it!

I would think that you are ready for surgery.  For many, waiting for your goal weight may take a long time.  I like patients to be within 10-15% of their healthy goal weight.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS