Can I get rid of a small dorsal hump without changing the way it looks from the front?

Video imaging is a good way to see how a change in the nose surgically can affect the appearance of the rest of the face.

Consult with the surgeon who performs video imaging. The effect of the change in the anatomy of your nose such as a small dorsal bump can be produced on the computer. This is useful not only to the patient but to the surgeon as well.

Smoothing out a small nasal hump-surgery vs filler

Small humps can often be softened with the use of fillers. If a patient desires a more permanent solution, the hump can be lowered fairly easily in surgery. A rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to tell you how much of a change to expect after the procedure.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative changes with a rhinoplasty

You have asked a good question that may fit the goals of many potential patients.  A small dorsal hump reduction can be done for many patients.  This is especially true if your nasal bones are somewhat narrow and you do not need much reduction for the dorsal hump.  However, if a large hump is lowered then the bridge get flatter with what we call an "open roof deformity" which does require repositioning the nasal bones on the side to narrow the bridge.Discuss this with your experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can best evaluate your particular situation.

John M. Weeter, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello, It sounds like you are looking for a conservative rhinoplasty.  Usually a minimal change from the front view can be obtained if desired.  I would recommend a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Image software can help you and your surgeon view potential outcomes to ensure your surgeon understands your desires.  Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

Dorsal hump

The dorsal hump can be taken down but the front view may change a bit as the width of the nose is narrowed a bit in most cases.

Removing Nasal Hump Without Changing Front View

I'm sorry, but I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website to answer your question. In some patients minimal reduction of bone and cartilage can be done without changing how the nose looks from the front .

Dorsal hump

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty to remove a small dorsal hump

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump which is composed of both bone and cartilage. Once the dorsal hump has been removed, osteotomies and the nasal bones are then required to close the open roof created from the hump removal. The osteotomies are essential, otherwise the nose will have a flat top and wide look to it. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

The goal of good cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure is to produce harmony of the various anatomic components of the nose and your other facial features. In some patients with a good nasal tip and only a bump on the bridge, it is possible to just conservatively diminish the bump through either a closed or open approach without altering the appearance on a frontal view..

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hump removal

Even a small humpr removal can slightly alter the view front on - please send photos for your face front on and in profile to advise more