How to reduce severe swelling with abdominalplasty and lipo? (photos)

I had an abdominalplasty with liposuction and fat transfer to my buttox 9 weeks ago. I then suffered a seroma which has healed, however the swelling is quite extensive. I wear my binders daily and here recently when i wear my binders it looks like i have severe back fat! I dont understand why this is happening or how i can fix it! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Swelling post op

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
To reduce the swelling I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If  after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

May Take More Time

It looks like the front of your abdomen is doing as expected.  The extra fat in the flanks is interesting.  From you pictured It seems as though this is not just swelling of fluid.  It  may be some residual skin an fat that was there before your abdominoplasty.  It depends on how you original skin roll made the transition form the front or your abdomen, to the side and then toward the flank.  Continue to monitor it and discuss things with your surgeon.  Thanks.

Gordon Telepun, MD

Decatur, Alabama

How to reduce severe swelling with abdominalplasty and lipo?

Thank you for sharing your question and series of photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery but it would be important to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or continued excess adipose tissue. Final results from a tummy tuck and liposuction may take 9-12 months to see final results, so hang in there and maintain close follow ups with your surgeon to ensure you have an uncomplicated further recovery and allow your results more time to mature.  Best wishes. 

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon