Is it possible to clear an infection after my implants have been in for over 25 years?

I have a infection under my breast that came out of no where. Infectious disease Dr says its some rare skin bacteria, that probably entered my body through a cut or scrape. Being treated with iv Daptomycin. Area is looking better, now draining very little, there is a small hole that seems to go into the pocket. Tissue is thin, blood work is all normal, has been from the beginning. No fever or inflammation. Is it possible to clear this without explant. Could the area be closed at some point?

Most breast implant infections require removal of the prosthesis.

If the sign is she described communicates with the prosthesis I think it would be best to have the implants removed. I would let the soft tissues heal and then reinsert implants in a few months if you still want them.

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hello welley, Thank you so much for your excellent question!  Without the benefit of an in person exam it's impossible to say for sure. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. If you seek out a second opinion look for the following:  *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol   *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  My best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS  Care Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Infection?

Is your infection draining from your implant pocket?  I'm not sure by your description.  Best to follow with you ID doc and plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question. It may be only limited to skin. You need to be seen by a PS for evaluation. If implant and pocket not communicated with infection you may be OK. If any communication may need to explant. Please consult with a board certified for evaluation.

Clear the Infection?

I am hopeful that it's just a skin issue, and your implant isn't affected.  However, a physical exam, especially to see where that hole is going, will be necessary.  I recommend you contact a plastic surgeon in your area for an evaluation to see if the implant itself may be involved/exposed, even if you don't have any symptoms.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your infection.  After 25 years your body has formed a thick wall of scar tissue around your implant that unless you suffered a large injury or cut probably has not been affected by your infection.  Assuming you do not have any implant related issues and you are improving with antibiotics all is likely well, but it would be wise to be checked out by your plastic surgeon to ensure your continued healing.  Hope this helps.