After a TT & BBL, when can I resume my hiking/gym routine? I feel ready to go but I'm 10 days post op & still have my drains in

I'm scared to gain weight and mess up my TT.10 days post TT & Bbl

Exercise after Tummy Tuck and BBL

Thank you for your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition, you may be able to return to non-strenuous work anywhere from one to three weeks after surgery. In many instances, you can resume most of your normal activities, including some form of mild exercise, after a few weeks. You may continue to experience some mild, periodic discomfort and swelling during this time, but such feelings are normal. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Hiking/Biking after Tummy Tuck

Physical Activity after Surgery that is strenuous like outdoor biking and hiking will probably take at least 6-8 weeks before you are ready - your surgeon will guide you when this is safe. Here are some guidelines I give my patients:
Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as
2 weeks after surgery. Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. 3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Excess swelling may indicate too much activity. Do not plan on resuming aerobic or strenuous exercise for about 6 weeks after surgery. Let your body tell you what it can do. Please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

Exercise after surgery

Hi and thanks for your question. You have to be very careful, even you already feel so well your body is in healing process, and usually after 6 weeks patients could start exercise as much as they feel and always pregressively. Give it the time to heal to prevent any complication that could take much more time.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Resuming exercise following Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question, as it is an important one.  It is best to follow your board-certified plastic surgeon's aftercare instructions; however, this soon post-op you should not resume your regular exercise routine.  The initial 2-3 weeks following surgery, there is always an increased risk of bleeding and pulling on your incisions.  In my practice, I advise my patients that they may resume all activity at 6-weeks post-op.  

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please always seek advice from a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative body surgery.

Best wishes!
Dr. Schwartz

Feeling Ready Is Not Being Ready!

It is great that you feel well after the surgery, but I want to warn you, not to overdo it now.
I frequently see patients of mine, who feel just fine, only days after their surgery and become too active early on. You have to realize, that such surgeries create large wound areas, even if the incisions might be relatively small. Your body needs a lot of energy and rest to ensure (further) proper healing. If you become too active at this point, you will propagate swelling, possibly formation of seroma and infection. So please heed your doctor's advice regarding activities. 
With the procedures you mentioned, I usually recommend to my patients to not work out for 3 to 4 weeks and especially avoid things that go along with a lot of vibration in the tissues, such as running. After all, every step you take bounces your whole body a little bit!

Let me give you one example out of my own practice: A few years ago I had a patient who was feeling just fine after breast augmentation and on her follow up on day 3 following the surgery, everything looked perfect. Her next appointment was for 2 weeks postop., but she called me about 10 days after the surgery complaining that her breasts hurt, were red and hot, etc. I asked her to come to my office so I could examine her and indeed it looked much worse than a few days before. I asked her what she had done and she replied "nothing much". So I asked again, what "nothing much" meant for her. Turns out, she was upset about her windows not being as clean as she liked them to be. She spent half a day cleaning all the windows in her home. The next day she had problems with her new breasts. I gave her antibiotics and told her she would have to stay put on her couch and not do anything physical at all, or I would have to admit her to a hospital. She followed my advice and 5 days later everything was fine again, but potentially this could have spelled disaster!

I always tell my patients to be patient (that's actually where this word comes from!) and give nature a chance. The time you lose by waiting somewhat longer, you usually gain double by not having any complications to battle.

My direct advice to you: give it at least another 2 weeks and talk to your surgeon about what kind of routine you want to start again, before doing so.

Hope you'll continue to recover so well and wish you all the best

Wolf-Gunter N. Steinmetz, M.D.

Wolf-Gunter N. Steinmetz, MD
Switzerland Plastic Surgeon

L, when can I resume my hiking/gym routine? I feel ready to go but I'm 10 days post op & still have my drains in

Thank you for the question. I always recommend my patients to return to light activities at 4 weeks. More strenuous activities after 6-8 weeks as you don't want to disturb your plication. It is best to consult your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Exercise - TT - take it slow

Hello. Thanks for your question . I think you should take things more slowly these days . The recovery time can be as important as the surgery to have the results you want. The gym and everything else could wait until you are fully recovered . My recommendation is to start with cardio after 8 weeks post op and then do the routines usually do .

Derby Sang Caputo, MD