I am 4 weeks post op tummy tuck and have been having sharp right lower abdominal pain x 2 days.

I have also had a week of diarrhea which was unresolved with flagyl. I have a history of diverticulosis. could this pain be from my tummy tuck. I also have back pain

Sharp Pain 4 Weeks Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling and some pain can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Now, since you are fairly early in the healing procedure you could be able to wait a little longer and evaluate the pain you are having to see if it gets a little better with over-the-counter treatments. But if you find yourself worried or concerned about the pain you are having it would be best to visit your surgeon personally to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Post op abdominal pain

Pain and soreness are a common side effect of a tummy tuck, but given your complex medical conditions, it sounds as if what you are experiencing could be something else. I would definitely recommend that you schedule an appointment to see your surgeon and be assessed in person as soon as possible. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Pain

It sounds as though you have a complex health picture so although your discomfort might not be caused by your Tummy Tuck, I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon and ask them for feedback.

All the best

Post op pain

This pain could be from your tummy tuck, but given your medical history and the other symptoms, it is best to go and be examined as soon as possible.  You want to make sure it isn't something more serious you are ignoring. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon