Follow-up Question - Pull up machine, are my Implants getting smaller and further apart?

Hi! I am 6 months post op. I have been using the assisted pull up machine at my gym. Am I imagining it or my implants getting smaller and somehow farther apart ? I know this exercise will build muscle. I wonder if I should stop doing this exercise. Thanks in advance

To see previous question, please click here.

Exercise after surgery

Thanks for your question. I would highly doubt that your implants are losing volume this early, but it never hurts to let your surgeon have a look. The implants can change position a bit over time, but it's unlikely that the exercise you are doing is the cause. I would suggest making a follow up appointment. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation: Are my implants getting smaller?

Most likely you are experiencing an illusion that the implants are getting smaller and moving farther apart. Two things are happening. When implants are placed behind the muscle, it is normal during chest exercise to have one or both move temporarily. This normal action is called animation or a dancing of the implants. Secondly, at six months you are at most 90 percent settled. When they are pushed up high like a push up bra, implants often have the illusion of looking bigger; conversely they have the illusion of looking smaller as they settle. They are still the same size just shaping better by coming down and out. Hope this was reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pectoralis workout after submuscular breast aug

Because of the shape of the chest muscles, the coverage of the implant, and the effects of compression of the implant - I recommend that my patients avoid chest intensive exercises for at least a year.  If they notice a change for the worse in appearance or size with a specific exercise, then I ask them to stop this as well.

Samuel Beran, MD