Is this price right for a breast augmentation, or am I being scammed?

I went for a consultation at a very well reviewed plastic surgeon in NYC, and the price they gave me for breast implants was $12,700...I keep seeing in here that most breast implants cost around $5k, and was wondering if this price is normal? Am I being taken for?

Breast Augmentation Cost?

Cost can vary widely based on geographical area.  In a place like NYC, costs are going to be higher based on increased costs of living and the costs associated with office rent, staff salaries, etc.  Here in the Chicago area, the cost for a regular breast augmentation with silicone gel implants is in the $5000-$8000 range.  You may want to look around outside of NYC proper, since expanding your search area will definitely lead to a lower cost with an equally good plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

Every surgeon will be different in fees. I am NYC, and to me that is a bit high.  Best of luck with your decision tome forward.

That is simply trhe price that that well known surgeon charges. You are paying extra for his/her reputation. Get second opinions you should be able to find an excellent experienced surgeon in the $7500 to 10,000 range.

Price of breast augmentation.

As you can see from the other doctors answers, there are many factors which go into the cost of any plastic surgery procedure.  I won't repeat what has already been said, but will add you can very easy find a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon, working in a fully accredited and licensed surgical facility in a major city, where the price for a silicone breast augmentation would be 1/2 what was quoted you.  There is no harm in you calling additional practices to compare.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  Cost of breast augmentation can vary based on geographic region and surgeon expertise.  If this is price of augmentation without a breast lift, then this does seem rather high.  Far more important than the price, however, is finding the right surgeon.  It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

There are many variables that contribute to surgical fees: the extent of the procedure, geographic location of the surgical practice, the credentials and level of training of the surgeon, his or her expertise and reputation, the fee for the anesthesia provider, and facility charge (the facility should be accredited by a national accrediting organization like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)). It is important to compare “apples to apples”. You should find the most qualified individual to perform a surgical procedure, not the least expensive. Your health and safety depend on it.

If your selection of a surgeon is determined primarily by high or low fees, ultimately, you may be disappointed with your choice. Shopping for bargains should be saved for sandals and t-shirts not procedures that require scientific knowledge, training, judgment, artistry and expertise.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well. You may wish to call your plastic surgeon's office and clarify the reason for the relatively high costs quoted to you.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. The cost for plastic surgery is of course a sensitive topic. There are many factors that go into this equation. New York City is well known for having some of the highest costs including rent,  malpractice  insurance, overhead,  etcetera.The price you were quoted is fairly typical in the New York City area.
Cost does not always = quality. I see many patients who travel from the tri-state area simply because they want to avoid new York prices. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any decisions.As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health care conditions you have a managed by your primary care physician.Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Cost of breast augmentation?

Plastic surgery costs vary dramatically by locale. NYC is one of the most expensive areas. Cost doesn't always translate into quality. You can find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for breast augmentation at a cost far less than what you were quoted. My cost for breast augmentation averages $6000, including all fees (surgeon, anesthesia and facility). Take the difference and enjoy a nice beach vacation. I'd recommend doing some more research before spending almost 13k on breast augmentation.

Good luck.

Jonathan R. Fugo, DO
Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Price of breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Prices vary based on location, individual surgeon etc. NYC is typically about 20-25% higher than outside of the city. I have not heard of prices as low as 5K, but that may be just surgeons fee, not OR, Anesthesia, Implants. I would recommend you look for board certified plastic surgeons in your local area or others in NYC if you wish to have the surgery performed there.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon