I got Belotero injections under my eyes a week ago and I'm not happy with the results. (photo)

I'm still super puffy and it looks like I have huge bags under my eyes. I read that you can use vitrase to reverse the effects, but some women said the skin under their eyes looked worse than before they got the injections. Is the vitrase safe? What went wrong? Was too much product injected? Was the placement wrong? How can I fix this? Please help!

Unhappy results 1 week post-op following Belotero injection under the eyes is technique/injector related

Belotero is an excellent filler for use in the tear troughs under the eyes, although if not performed correctly, injections can cause the kind of puffiness that you see here.   Without knowing the details of your injection, i.e, how much filler was used on each side, was a needle or cannula used, what anatomic plane was injected, etc., it will be difficult to give an exact answer to your question.  It appears as though you have too much volume in too superficial of a plane though, and this is causing distortion of your anatomy.  Most people think that because Belotero is great for fine, superficial lines in the skin, this is how it should always be injected under the eyes too, and nothing could be farther from the truth.  There are some instances in which superficial injections under the eyes, or at least under the muscle but in front of the orbital septum, would be preferred, in most instances the injections need to be placed in a very specific location deep in the lid against the bone.  That is where the volume irregularity originates, and that is where the filler will have the best chance of properly camouflaging the defect.  The good thing about Belotero is tha being a hyaluronic acid filler, it can easily, and pretty quickly, be dissolved with hyaluronidase within hours or overnight.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, occuloplastic surgeon, or even dermatologist who also has extensive experience in injections in the relatively unforgiving area under the eyes, and schedule a consultation to evaluate your options for correcting your current deformity as well as for avoiding similar issues with future injections going forward.  But, please don't blame the Belotero!  Properly injected, it's a wonderful filler for this area.

Not Happy With Belotero Results

Hello D. Sorry to hear that you are not happy with the results of your Belotero injections under the eyes. The skin under the eyes is very thin compared to other areas of the face so some degree of swelling is to be expected after injection treatments there. The duration of the swelling is variable for each person and can last an average of 2-4 weeks. That being said, Belotero is a filler that needs to be injected very superficially and usually the swelling is not as bad as it is with other fillers. I also use a microcannula instead of a needle when I do these injections. It decreases the severity of the swelling. I suggest you schedule a follow up appointment with your injector. If the swelling does not improve after a couple of weeks then it is possible that you had too much product injected. In that case you can safely use some Vitrase to dissolve the Belotero. I hope everything works out for you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Vitrase after HA fillers under the eyes

Vitrase can be used to revere or dissolve the HA fillers that are used for tear trough correction. I recommend that you wait 2-3 weeks before you seek treatment with Vitrase to ensure that all of the soft tissue swelling goes away. 

Belotero and Under Eye Bags

The injection of fillers is often associated with bruising and swelling in the treatment area. The extent of the bruising is related to the technique used, the location of the filler, and each person’s specific anatomy. Swelling initially occurs as the product attracts water to the surrounding tissues. The swelling is often worse in the morning and improves through out the day. The swelling often lasts for few days to a few weeks. If the swelling persists, however, improvement may be achieved by removing some of the filler using hylaronidase. A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. A formal consultation with a plastic surgeon is the next best step.

Belotero for filling tear troughs, not removing puffiness

Belotero is a filler that simply adds volume. While it is one of the thinnest ones on the market right now, is still a filler. Looking at your photos (I assume the first one is pre injection), you had puffiness there before. The Belotero will not do anything to make the puffiness go away and it does seem to have softened it a little bit. Only surgery and lasers can reduce the actual puffiness. Vitrase, at best, will only take you back to where you were before the Belotero was injected. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Belotero under the Eyes

I am so sorry that you did not have a good result from Belotero.  Belotero is a thin hyaluronic acid filler and designed for the delicate area under the eye.  I would suggest you return to your treating physician to have them dissolve the product.  For a more natural looking result please consult a board certified cosmetic dermatologist with experience with facial injections especially under the eye area.