Epidural with IV Sedation for Tummy, is that safe? What am I going to feel?

Epidural with IV Sedation for Tummy, is that safe?

Thank you for your question. You will find that there are a variety of different types of anesthesia that can be utilized during tummy tuck surgery. I  personally perform tummy tuck surgery in an out patient surgery center, and under general anesthesia administered by Board Certified Anesthesiologists.  I believe that this type of anesthesia provides for a comfortable/safe/immobile environment to  perform the relatively "extensive" procedure. Personally, I feel most comfortable having the anesthesiologist have full control of the patient's airway, thereby avoiding many of the potentially serious complications that may arise around the time of surgery. I hope this, and the attacked link, helps.

Epidural anesthesia

Hello; epidural anhestesia is regularly done for full tummy tuck surgery, ask your anhestesiologist for advanages and disadvantages of this anestesia technique.

Regards, Dr Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Epidural Sedation

Hi suet1976
Thank you for your question. Yes, it can be done but with the epidural you accept additional risks of injury to nerve, blood vessels, headaches, backaches, epidural infection, epidural hematoma, and paralysis. In addition, time for placement and possible difficulty in placement as well as recovery time are considerations. Of course your medical history will also influence the viability of the epidural.

With regards to what you might feel, there can be a great deal of variability in epidurals resulting in a range from incomplete blocks, in which you might feel a portion of the procedure, to a prolonged block that might not resolve for an extended period of time. Hope this helps. Best of luck.