Anatomical or Round? (Photo)

I've already spoken with my doctor about it, who suggests anatomical for my size, being that I have little breast tissue, and the size implants i chose (350) and I do trust his advice of course, but I'm still unsure about teardrops. He has assured me that they won't rotate, and I will likely call tomorrow to further discuss things, but do you think if I get round implants i would be okay..? I don't mind a little fake looking. Id rather ask directly, but in the mean time I'll ask here. Thank you!

Anatomical or Round?

Thank you for your question and sharing your photos. It is in your best interest to find a board-certified plastic surgeon, preferably one who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Most plastic surgeons have before and after pictures that you can browse and compare to someone who may have a similar body shape as yours. People with smaller frames typically benefit from an anatomical implant rather than round, but it is always important to follow the advice about surgeon recommendations, and to let them know that you "don’t mind a little fake looking." Best of luck!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

What type of implant is best for you - anatomical or round implant?

The primary reason to choose anatomical implants is to get more of a teardrop shaped look.  Because you commented that you "don't mind a little fake looking", I would most likely suggest a round implant.  If you choose to have submuscular augmentation, the tissues and muscles will drape over the implant giving it a natural slope but will still give you upper pole fullness.  I would suggest having another conversation with your plastic surgeon to be sure you are making the best choice for you!  Good luck!

Implant shape

With normally shaped breast like yours you could have either round or anatomical and get a natural result.  Even with round implants, size and profile can be altered to get a natural result.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Round or shaped implants

I feel round silicone implants are the gold standard of therapy.  Shaped implants do have some theoretic advantages long term.   The literature reports a 2% rate of rotation that requires re-operation with shaped implants.
Studies that show consumers and plastic surgeons pictures of  patients with round and  shaped implants and ask which is which  show that neither group is accurate in identifying the shaped implant.
Chose the implant that you want, you look to be an excellent candidate for any type of implant.  Good luck.

William Koenig, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical or round implants

All shaped implants are textured to avoid rotation. Sientra uses a proprietary method of texturing called True Texture that has a proven track record internationally over the past 20+ years. In the FDA clinical trials Sientra had zero rotations, and 4.9% rupture rate. Mentor uses a stamping method for texturing that has uniform shallow groves in the implant called Siltex. In the FDA trials Mentor had a 3.4 % rotation rate, and rupture rate of 10.6% . 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon