Too soon to remove tattoo with laser?

i just had a patch test (laser removal)on an 8 week black tattoo which seemed to crack/split the skin and make it bleed? at this point they stopped, is this to soon and has not healed yet, or is it location thin skin (under bicep) thanks in advance

Tattoo removal treatment timing

Generally your skin will have recovered from your tattoo session after 8 weeks. The first treatment usually has quite a dramatic response with the initial treatment  because there is a large amount of ink that is going to be treated with the laser pulse. Pin point bleeding and possibly a blister can develop but if you are having more of a reaction than that   you should be reevaluated by your physician.

Toms River Plastic Surgeon

Second Thoughts on a Tattoo--Laser Tattoo Removal

Pinpoint bleeding can be expected, cracking/splitting bleeding is not. It could be the laser settings or that you still had some healing to do. I would see an expert in tattoo removal. Keep in mind, it will take a series of treatments. Best, Dr. Emer

When can a fresh tattoo be removed?

If the skin is healed from the tattoo placement, it can be removed. The test was obviously done because there was concerns about the settings. It seems like the settings weren't correct and they need to adjust them. I don't think it has anything to do with the "freshness" of the tattoo.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Too soon to remove at tattoo

8 weeks is generally plenty of time to heal after a tattoo, although there can be substantial individual variation in healing times.  Unless there are visible signs the tattoo is still healing, we will generally start removal at 6 weeks.  A properly treated tattoo can have pinpoint areas of bleeding during and immediately after treatment, although cracking or splitting is NOT something I'd expect to see.  

Adam Gropper, MD
Aventura Radiologist