What are the TT options for a 57 year old diabetic woman, who has 4 cardiac stents?

Currently, I am losing weight on a low carb/ketogenic diet, with improving BG numbers. I have a large apron that will definitely be left hanging around after I approach goal weight. Please advise.

What are the TT options for a 57 year old diabetic with cardiac stents?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your lifestyle changes!  If your heart and internal medicine doctors are able to medically optimize your cardiac and BG levels you should be a good candidate for a panniculectomy or tummy tuck.  Your safety is paramount so best to start with your whole-body health and then seek out surgical correction of your abdomen.

Possible tummy tuck, even though I have a cardiac history for heart disease in the past.

Congratulations on continuing so successfully to lose weight and gain better health!  There is no substitute for doing this, even though I know how hard this has been difficult.

You will remain as a good candidate to perform a full tummy tuck as long as your Cardiologist would agree.  I have always worked cooperatively with the local specialty doctors for my patients, but rest assured that if advised properly you may still be a good candidate for this!

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

your surgical options are the same as everyone's. However, you will need to be in good health. Therefore the you will need to have clearance from your cardiologist and internist to be sure that you will get through the operation safely. I would start by discussing this with your weight loss doctor or your board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure that everything goes smoothly for you!

Board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure that everything goes smoothly for you!

Good luck and congratulations !

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

TT with diabetics and stents

Although it is conceivable that some doctor might clear you for elective cosmetic surgeon, it wouldn't be one of my referral sources, all highly qualified internists and cardiologists.  If your regimen includes aspirin, Plavix, Coumadin, etc., the answer would be a resounding no. I turn patients away when they are not medically appropriate even though they really want and otherwise would be candidates for the surgeries but safety has to come first.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Options for excess abdominal skin

Thank you for your question.  Diabetes and heart disease are not necessarily contraindications for surgery.  However, your medical history must be taken into account when making medical and surgical recommendations.  Given your history, you are at an increased risk for complications with surgery both during and after, especially from a wound healing standpoint.  If cleared by your primary care physician and/or cardiologist, I would be inclined to recommend a panniculectomy for management of your excess skin instead of a tummy tuck.  The panniculectomy is a shorter procedure with fewer potential complications but will still remove the apron of skin.  To be sure, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options following a complete evaluation.  Best wishes!

Nicholas Tarola, MD

Tummy tuck for patient with medical concerns?

Well controlled diabetes and cardiac disease are not absolute contraindications to tummy tuck surgery and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures.   However, careful risk assessment will be very important in the decision-making process

Always best to check with your internist, cardiologist and/or endocrinologist for “medical clearance” prior to surgery.  These doctors, who know you best, will advise you whether or not to consider the procedure. Managing your diabetic medications and/or cardiac medications around the time of surgery will also be important. 

If you are clear as to proceed, careful selection of plastic surgeon, anesthesiologist ( preferably board-certified anesthesiologist)  and fully accredited surgical facility will be important considerations. In my practice, for patients with medical concerns, an "overnight stay" or admission, may be helpful.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.