Could someone please let me know what's going on with my hair? It's been low and patchy like this going on 4 years. (Photo)

The damaged side has some thin hair, split ends, dry hair, has a irritation type feel on my scalp and is easily pulled out. The healthy side feels like the rest of my head

Doctor Answers 6

Alopecia Areata

Has the same clinical appearance but best to consult with a dermatologist or hair transplant expert. 

If it is alopecia areata, they can be intermittent, and best treated as quickly as you can notice their onset.  A simple medication will usually treat it quickly.  

They can expand as well.  

Diagnosis can be done either by history, physical and exam by your physician or simply a biopsy during active phase of the onset. 

Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

I suggest consulting with an expert for an in person evaluation to determine the underlying cause of hair loss. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Patchy hair loss

Patches of hair loss as you are showing may reflect a disease called Alpecia Areata, something you must see a doctor about and get a biopsy to find out if this is really what is wrong here. There are treatments in the hands of good dermatologists. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

4 yr hx of patchy growth and "irritation feeling"


A  consultation with a hair loss specialist is needed for a thorough history and physical examination. A scalp biopsy is indicated to rule out an inflammatory scalp condition or scaring alopecia. Scalp biopsy should be read by a Dermato-Pathologist. Treatment is dependent on work up findings. All the best,

Bernardino A. Arocha,MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD, FISHRS
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Cause of hair loss

It is better to see a hair loss specialist in person to be examined and find the cause for your hair loss. Once the cause Is stablished the proper treament options can be recommended. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

What's causing my hair loss?

There are a few possible causes and it's important to see a dermatologist. With a 4 year history, the most likely is localized follicular injury or a lymphocytic scarring alopecia. Other causes are possible. 

Be sure to see a dermatologist. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.