Could someone please let me know what's going on with my hair? It's been low and patchy like this going on 4 years. (Photo)

The damaged side has some thin hair, split ends, dry hair, has a irritation type feel on my scalp and is easily pulled out. The healthy side feels like the rest of my head

Alopecia Areata

Has the same clinical appearance but best to consult with a dermatologist or hair transplant expert. 

If it is alopecia areata, they can be intermittent, and best treated as quickly as you can notice their onset.  A simple medication will usually treat it quickly.  

They can expand as well.  

Diagnosis can be done either by history, physical and exam by your physician or simply a biopsy during active phase of the onset. 

Beverly Hills Physician

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

I suggest consulting with an expert for an in person evaluation to determine the underlying cause of hair loss. Best, Dr. Emer

Patchy hair loss

Patches of hair loss as you are showing may reflect a disease called Alpecia Areata, something you must see a doctor about and get a biopsy to find out if this is really what is wrong here. There are treatments in the hands of good dermatologists. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

4 yr hx of patchy growth and "irritation feeling"

kingkuta123,

A  consultation with a hair loss specialist is needed for a thorough history and physical examination. A scalp biopsy is indicated to rule out an inflammatory scalp condition or scaring alopecia. Scalp biopsy should be read by a Dermato-Pathologist. Treatment is dependent on work up findings. All the best,

Bernardino A. Arocha,MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cause of hair loss

It is better to see a hair loss specialist in person to be examined and find the cause for your hair loss. Once the cause Is stablished the proper treament options can be recommended. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

What's causing my hair loss?

There are a few possible causes and it's important to see a dermatologist. With a 4 year history, the most likely is localized follicular injury or a lymphocytic scarring alopecia. Other causes are possible. 

Be sure to see a dermatologist.