Mole, change of colour. I would like to check what do you think? (Photo)

Hello, I am worried about my mole. It was brown as I can remember, and now, it seems it changed colour to black - brown. I know it is a small mole, but nevertheless, I would like to check what do you think? I have never been to dermatologist, for simple reason... I have few moles only and I was never worried that something can happened, till now.

NMI - 9/7/16, JS.

Mole changing color

Any time a mole is changing, to be safe it is best to have it carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Get it checked

Hi,It is good that you have asked this question. Moles can be simple and benign and you can have them from birth with no changes, however if they start to show changes you should have them checked out. Moles that either change in color, change shape or have an irregular shape, become raised or start to bleed need to be checked as soon as possible to make sure that they are not becoming something sinister. A lot of the time, they will be nothing to worry about but you have it checked by a dermatologist just to make sure.