Is this amount of swelling, tightness and a bit of bleeding normal for 5 days post operation? (Photo)

This has been my third labiaplasty operation. Forst one was wedge method which resultet with splitting, after which my surgeon restitched everything again but the tissue was inflamed and stitches went through flesh. So i had this reconstruction 5 days ago and i'm worried about the bruising, a bit of smell ( im washing only with water, doctor said i shouldnt use soap), and tightness also. Does that seem normal? Also i don't know what is that yellow bubble. Thank you in advance

Labiaplasty

It seems like your swelling is normal. Be sure to keep your surgeon updated on your healing progress.

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. There may be a potential of infection considering the smell and yellow bubble you mention, so it would be good to visit your surgeon to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Good luck!

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Swelling

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that means traveling.  Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty healing

Physical exam is always better than a photo, but the photo looks ok so far. Make sure you are using the anti-inflammatory measures your surgeon recommended, the natural supplements and physical remedies of topical applications, we all have our own favorites. With a history of prior labial surgery, you may need closer follow up than average to make sure you are healing properly. This is the time for you to be pro-active in your healing, focus on your role in recovery.

Labiaplasty concerns

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures swelling is appropriate. This area is known to give swelling. Because of previous issues of healing here I recommend you to talk to your PS for evaluation.

There's nothing extreme about your labiaplasty revision photo

The bruising in the photo is mild and not indicative of hematoma or active bleeding. The odor of healing tissue is generally unpleasant and not to be confused with that of infection or tissue breakdown, but a surgeon would be able to tell the difference. The yellow bubble appears to be a swollen area of skin between stitches, but it's tough to tell from the photo.

Swelling

Swelling after labiaplasty is totally normal. However, you do not give dates concerning when you had these procedures performed. Any revision should be performed 3 to 6 months after the first operation to allow the tissues to heal well. Otherwise it's common for wounds to open and not heal properly. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Is this amount of swelling, tightness and bleeding normal for 5 days after surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your previous recovery issues.  Based on your picture alone your amount of swelling and bruising is not uncommon due to the thin nature of the labial tissues.  That said, because of your recovery issues in the past I would advise seeing your surgeon for any questions or concerns. 

Concerns after labia minora reduction surgery…

I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced after labia minora reduction surgery.  Although there is nothing in the photograph that seems concerning, your surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for a complication free recovery and an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Post op 5 days labiaplasty

You should really consult your surgeon to help you and so he / she can make the decision.  From what I can see it appears to be normal.