I'm afraid I may have ruptured my breast implant. Any suggestions?

I do yoga daily and have never had a problem with my implants until today. We were doing a pose that requires you to bare weight in the chest and I felt something "pop". I slid up and noticed my right breast felt odd. When I got home it felt softer then usual. Now several hours later I still think it feels softer then the left. They have been in for 8 years so I was getting ready to start looking for a doctor to take a look at them. Now I'm worried something is wrong, though.

Possible rupture

Hello and thank you for your discussion. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a check-up and examination. He/she may order an advanced imaging study (MRI or USG) performed to look at the implant based on you examination and prior surgical history & type of implant.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for evaluation at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

There is no way to know for sure without visiting your surgeon for an in person consultation. If you have saline implants, you would notice one deflating and it would be very obvious. Silicone is harder to tell and may require some sort of imaging to confirm for sure. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Possible implant rupture

Thank you for your question. It is hard to comment without physically examining you. I recommend you to see a board certified PS for evaluation for rupture soon.

Ruptured Implant?

It would be typical in the average rupture to progressively soften deflate over 24-36 hrs. At first not obvious but be the second day typically obvious. With a valve leak the process is much slower and usually less "complete". I recommend you have an exam ASAP - not because it is an emergency, but because it is much easier to replace if done ASAP since the tissues start to contract/heal together the longer it is deflated requiring a bit more work by the surgeon to recreate the proper pocket.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Without the benefit of physical exam- it's difficult to comment accurately. Generally speaking, breast implants are made of a durable silicone shell that can withstand a lot of pressure. Newer implants are very difficult to rupture. However, with time the shell gets more fragile..  With that said- it could be a rupture- since you're describing a mushy, soft implant...MRI can be ordered in this case. Best to seek a Board Certified PS for in person exam