Will more feminine nose work on a face with dominant features? Does changing the centerpiece mean changing everything? (Photos)

I have always wanted a smaller, more feminine nose...but my husband has stated that changing my nose in any way would throw the symmetry in my face. Can I make my nose less dominant (remove the small bump, trim, reduce its profile and my nostrils, etc.)? Will my face still “make sense” or will changing my nose (making it more feminine) cause my face and other features too appear “off”? Does changing my nose mean a series of other surgeries (that I do not want)? Thank you for your expertise!

Rhinoplasty complementing facial features

Thank you for your question Kristi. It would be nice to have a profile view to give the best recommendation. That being said I think you have delicate facial features especially around your eyes and a well-done rhinoplasty would actually help your nose complement the rest of your face. I don't see that the symmetry would change just more facial harmony.  It would be reasonable to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to address your concerns and devise a treatment plan. Best wishes

Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should you change your nose?

I understand your concern. In your case a smaller more feminine nose would definitely work. I would be interested in seeing your profile to determine whether your chin is proportional as well. The idea of a good rhinoplasty is to have the nose not be the central focus of your face. I strongly recommend you and your husband see a plastic surgeon that has a Vectra 3D system. You will be able to see the simulation of your before and after from all angles, and this will help you determine if you would like the change.

Changing your nose

Dear Kristi,

Changing your nose would ideally improve the balance of your features rather than distract from them. A nose that has a strong presence detracts, and a good rhinoplasty should actually enhance your eyes rather than compete with them. Many patients don't want or need huge changes in their appearance to achieve this. I am sure your husband finds you beautiful the way you are and it scares him to think of dabbling with what he already loves. 3D imaging allows for you to play around with changes in real time to help establish potential goals. If he came with you to an appointment he might come out of it more supportive of your plan.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Feminine Rhinoplasty and Facial Balance

Thanks for you thoughtful question. The desire to enhance one's appearance is intensely personal, especially when your nose and facial balance is concerned. One can consider appropriate, reduction and refinement rhinoplasty to improve the size of your nose, but still respect your overall attractive features and face. The key is to have good communication with your prospective surgeon about your wishes, goals and fears. Hopefully that discussion and a complete evaluation can lead to reasonable recommendations for rhinoplasty. Naturally, your husband loves you just the way you are, and I truly appreciate that he is able to share his concerns about an elective procedure with you. A well performed rhinoplasty however, can offer you the opportunity to consider enhancements, profile reductions consistent with feminine features in the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. Your other facial features should not be negatively effected and you should not require other surgery that you do not want. Best and most difficult thing to do is find the right physician to assist you achieving your rhinoplasty goals. You seem to be on the right track! Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Well-Done Rhinoplasty Harmonizes Well With Rest Of Face

The purpose of rhinoplasty or any well-performed and thoughtful plastic surgery is to enhance the face as is, creating a more balanced and harmonious look. The result should be natural and should work with your face, not against it. There are a number of changes that can be made to your nose while maintaining the beautiful strength of your natural features. Other surgeries should not be necessary to keep your face in balance with your new nose. I hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty candidate for more feminine nose

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination of being a candidate for rhinoplasty, since the nose  is a three dimensional structure. The dorsal hump can be shaved down, the tip refined, and the bridge line narrowed so that the nose  is more feminine and less prominent. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful to understand what can be accomplished with your nose on your facial features. For more information and many examples, please see the link to the video below

Many patients have a fear looking like "someone else" after rhinoplasty surgery, but this is not a common occurrence.

Your bump and profile height may be reduced with surgery, and if you have a successful rhinoplasty, few should notice your results. Your frontal photos posted are difficult to evaluate, but you could consider consulting with a reputable rhinoplasty specialist near you so you could see what might be best. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would seem unlikely that your type of rhinoplasty would make the rest of your face look off or out of proportion. But the best way to make that determination before surgery is through the use of computer imaging.

Rhinoplasty

Hi Kristi, this is a good question!  I think a well-done rhinoplasty would compliment your facial features.  I use the Vectra imaging system with my patients to give them an idea of what can possibly be accomplished with a rhinoplasty.  They can see the potential results and determine if they are still interested in pursuing the surgery.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who has this ability.  I think it will put you and your husband's mind at ease about whether or not to have the surgery.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dr. Michelle Spring

Will more feminine nose work on a face with dominant features? Does changing the centerpiece mean changing everything?

Actually a smaller, more feminine nose will help enhance your other facial features. Your face does appear slightly long and angular. Softening your nasal appearance should work well for you. A profile view would be necessary to suggest specific changes. Your surgeon should go over the refinements in detail with you. Good luck.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon