Is there a difference in procedure, as opposed to ethnicity? When dealing with skin ie, sutures being smaller.

I have a scar on my neck done from the front. Discectomy with a bone fusion and a titanium plate @C5-6,7 barely noticeable. (Relocated for this Dr.) On the other hand I have a horizontal and vertical abdominal scar that has been revised Lol my navel was a hole you know what happens inversion!

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices.
I have attached a link with some tips. 

Scar wars

Both #PS and patients fret about whether scars will be acceptable, especially when they are generated during the course of elective surgery.  The horizontally oriented neck scar from your cervical discectomy and stabilization appears to have healed in an imperceptible fashion, as there isn't much tension because no neck skin is resected.  I assume the horizontal and vertical scars over your abdomen represent your PS' judgment that the tummy skin excess wasn't sufficient to remove your prior belly button opening.  Whenever repairing wounds on "tension", many PS close in multiple layers (fascia, dermis, subcuticular layers), in the hope of producing a satisfactory result.  Accordingly, larger gauge suture, which has a longer resorption profile are usually chosen on all patients.  The ultimate goal is to off-load tension, which will create a thicker, raised and more objectionable scar.  The color, thickness and texture of your TT scars will remodel or change over time.  However, if your belly button is too "narrow", a revision may be in order.  It's always easier to make a belly button bigger than smaller.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Scar revision - why do scars heal differently

Thank you for asking about your scars.

• You are right - it is the place that surgery is done that can affect healing.
  • Wound healing and scar formation in very very complex.
  • Surgical technique plays a role - gentle tissue handling and fine sutures help.
  • Tension on the wound makes scars wider
  • But areas of the body play a role too. Neck skin is thin and typically heals with a lovely scar.
  • Abdominal scars in some people are good, in others not - because that is how they heal.
  • Surgery over the mid-chest and upper back almost always leaves wide thick scars.
  • So when considering surgery, you are right - discuss the scar with respect to the area of the body that the surgery is done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is there a difference in procedure based on ethnicity?

Thank you for your excellent question.  In general, surgical procedures are not altered based on a patient's ethnicity, as the same surgical precautions are taken to maximize aesthetic results.  Without a full series of photographs to assess your appearance definite recommendations can not be made, but if you have an inverted scar it may have been from inaccurate skin layer closure.  See your surgeon for an in-person evaluation and discussion of your results.  

Thank you for the question. Many patients with darker skin share your concerns.  Generally speaking, there no major differences in the procedure performed; careful attention to the details of the procedure (such as tension free closure etc.) is important regardless of patient  ethnicity. You may find the attached link, dedicated to surgical procedures for African-American patients helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.