Pain after breast augmentation 10 days post op. (photos)

10 days po breast aug. Sub-pectoral 325cc filled to 450cc smooth mod plus profile saline. 5'2" 120lbs 34b to ??? Major pain n burning. feels like implant is too wide can feel it in my arm pit. I am taking 5mg Vicodin flexiril 10mg and ibuprofen 800mg 3x day W/o relief unless lying down. Tried massage but too painful waiting for 2 week mark and oraying this pain goes away and they soften up. They are very hard all I feel is implant. Is this normal? too wide? They are huge and misshapen!!

At two weeks you are very early in the healing process and your implants have yet to come down into the pocket.  Best of luck.

10 Days post Op

Thank you for your question and photos. It will take between 2-6 months for your tissues to expand and soften, allowing the implants to drop and fluff. The pain and discomfort you are experiencing should be improving however. If you have ongoing pain I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still fairly early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing a more natural appearance. I would also continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. In regards to the pain, throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal. These sensations along with the feeling that your implant is moving should all resolve within the next 4-6 weeks. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implants - too big and mis-shapen after 10 ays

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• I am sorry you are having such a difficult recovery.
  • You are a small woman with large implants -
  • The larger the implant, the longer you will hurt and the longer it usually takes the implants to settle in place.
  • They will not look normal until they settle lower on your chest.
  • It can take six weeks or longer for large implants to stop hurting in a woman with a small frame.
  • They may in fact be too large for your frame since you can feel them in your armpit.
  • I suggest you return to your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and see if the implants should be partially deflated.
  • If your surgeon is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you might want to consider seeing one now. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast augmentation recovery

It is much too early in the recovery process to evaluate the shape of the breasts.  It will take 3-6 months for the swelling to subside and the implants to settle.  I would suggest speaking with your surgeon about your pain level to see if any adjustments can be made to the medication or if there are other interventions such as support bra adjustments, etc that can be done.

Camille Cash, MD

Too early

At 2 weeks , it is too soon to comment on the appearance of the breasts. Sometimes a muscle relaxant such as valium may help with the cramping and discomfort from the implants being placed under the muscle. You should see your plastic surgeon about being considered for a muscle relaxant. It will take 3 months for the swelling to improve and 6 months for the implants to settle into the pocket.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Pain 10 days after surgery

It is not unusual to have significant pain after subpectoral breast augmentation.  I would suggest you call your plastic surgeon and see if there are any stronger pain meds he or she can recommend.  The good news is that your pain will subside and the implants will drop and soften over the next several weeks.

Breast augmentation post op

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast augmentation

I'm sorry you're experiencing significant pain. In general the more significant the change, the longer the pain can last. I expect of the next week your pain will gradually decrease. The tightness and position of the implants will gradually settle over the next several months. I allow my patients to use ibuprofen after the 1st postoperative week. Hang in there, your final result will look very different from what you see now.

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Speak to your surgeon and voice your concerns

I agree with Dr. Tattelbaum that early out saline implants will sit very high and be very hard and it takes weeks for them to settle.  That being said with the amount of medication you are taking most of my patients are not hurting after the first few days.  Thus I would speak to your surgeon and get seen.  Also, many of us allow our patients to take ibuprofen immediately after surgery and do not believe it increases complication rates.