Why am I having so much breast implant recovery pain? (photo)

I am 11 days post op from a saline breast augmentation. I have mentor smooth round moderate plus saline 325cc. Filled to 450. Sub muscular. It was under the breast incision. I was a 34b (or less) no upper pole fullness. Now they are huge and hurting!! I have ALOT of pain. I am taking Vicodin about 3x a day and 10mg of flexiril but I'm still in pain. I have a burning sensation and they are also very hard.

Why am I having so much breast implant recovery pain?

Greetings Lalalana and thanks for your question and photos. Breast augmentation can be uncomfortable. The bigger the breast implants in relation to your ability to handle that size, the bigger the pain. 

I also think there a few areas where your pain pills and muscle relaxants are not helping you. For instance, the rib cage is very sensitive and your breast implant is sitting right on top if you went under the muscle. Pain pills are not very good at treating rib pressure and pain. You should speak with your plastic surgeon before starting something like an NSAID or COX-2 inhibitor for the pain that may be originating from the rib cage and discuss the risks of taking these medications. I prefer meloxicam in my patients as it has a lower risks causing bleeding in the breasts. 

The burning sensation is also very common and originates usually from nerves stretched by your breast implants. Pain pills and muscle relaxants do not treat these pains. The best medications for nerve stretch are the gaba-family of medications like gabapentin or pregabalin. You will have to speak with your plastic surgeon about these modalities and also discuss the risks and side effects of taking these medications. I certainly hope this helps to make your recovery better. 

Dr. ALDO

You described over filled implants. This is not recommended as the implants come in many sizes. The bigger the breast implants in relation to your ability to handle that size, the more pain involved.  The burning sensation is also very common and originates usually from nerves stretched by your breast implants. Follow up with your surgeon so that he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD