Are there restrictions for exercising many hours after botox injections?

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question kristi t. Botox is a purified protein use to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. After a Botox treatment I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and avoid lying flat for 4 hours after a treatment. These activities can lead to movement of the Botox and side effects such as droopy eyelids or blurred vision. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
We recommend that no strenuous activity or exercise for  24 hours after Botox injections.
To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

4 hours

The literature would support no strenuous activity or exercise for 4 hours after Botox treatments.  Good luck.

Restrictions After Botox

I recommend that my patients not exercise or get their heart rate above 100 for the first 90 minutes. After that, you have no restrictions.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Exercise restriction may not be necessary after Botox injection

Thanks for your question. The reality is we have always told our patients to avoid exercise for a period of time after toxin injections. Do we really need to? Most likely no and I do not have any major restrictions for my patients any more. We did this because this was what the clinical trial inclusion and exclusion and post-treatment instructions were, and they then became what we used post-injection. Reality over time shows this is probably not that important in most cases.

The most important thing is to have a great and skilled injector in the office of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. We know the most about the drugs and the anatomy of what we are treating.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for your question. In general, I advise my patients to refrain from exercise for the remainder of the day following Botox treatment. Protocol can vary from physician to physician, and I would recommend speaking with your specific provider. In general, I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. Each is a great choice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Exercising After Botox

Thank you for your question 

I typically recommend for patients to refrain from strenuous physical exertion for at least 4 hours after injection. 
I recommend speaking with your skilled and qualified injector to determine what they recommend.

Take care. 

Botox and exercise

I usually have patients avoid the gym after the procedure until the next day. No one knows for sure but most used to say avoid it for 4-6 hours.

Exercise after Botox

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• We do believe that very vigorous exercise the day of a Botox injection may increase blood flow, washing out the Botox.
  • There is no research to prove this but people who work out hard at gyms every day seem to often get a lesser Botox effect than those who do not.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Exercise after Botox

Different doctors will give different opinions on this topic.  In my practice, I don't have any restrictions on exercise.  Botox in my hands is so predictable and I rarely see any problems.  Your doctor's injection technique is by far the most important factor in providing good results and minimizing the risk of side effects.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon