Is it possible to reduce the width of my nose by a centimeter?

I was wondering if it is possible to reduce the width of my nose by a centimeter (a half centimeter on each side) or if there is a limit and what the limit would be.

Capabilities of a rhinoplasty would require physical examination.

This is an impossible question to answer in a specific patient without much more information. Video imaging can give you a good idea of what is capable in the operating room.

Narrowing a nose

That degree of narrowing would not be possible on any nose - the degree of narrowing is dependent on your existing anatomy and you cannot just dial up an amount of narrowing - if your nose has a large hump you mqay get some slight widening front as a result of hump reduction even if the bones are moved in with osteotomies

Reduce the width by a centimeter? Sure...

... as long as your nose's anatomy will support that change. Yes if you start out with a really really wide nose. No if your nose is only a little bit wide. Photos sure would help!

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Width of nose

I do not think anyone can guarantee a specific number for the width to be reduced.  Sometimes trying to reduce the width so much may  result in airway issues.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. The amount of movement possible really depends on your individual anatomy.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Nose Width Reduction

Believe it or not anything is possible.  Please submit photos to really allow us to evaluate your nose if it is amenable to that amount of reduction.  It all depends on what your nose looks like right now and where you want it reduced ie, the tip, the dorsum, the width of the nostrils.  Please help us to help you.  Thanks.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: limits of width reduction

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance. Reducing the width of the nose is a common request; however, there are limits to the changes you can make to the nose. 

Instead of focusing on a number, a better goal is to create balance between the nose and the rest of your face. I consider the chin, forehead, and overall dimensions of the entire face when I look at a nose. In a consultation, I ask your about health and breathing, I examine your nose, and I perform a photoanalysis. 3D computer simulation helps me get on the same page as my patients regarding potential changes that are appropriate for their face. Clear communication is important for a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Width Reduction

You did not state where on the nose you want the width reduced. (nasal bones vs nasal tip) Such a width change may be possible but you would need to be more specific about where on the nose you want the width reduction as well as submit pictures for a more informed answer.