I have 26 yr old meme implants. I have had no issues until about a yr ago when mammogram show rupture on left breast.Suggestion?

I recently decided to get an mri which showed both ruptured and silicone under arms and in lymph areas. Hoping to have surgery very soon, and am very afraid.

Implant rupture

I would recommend an "in person" consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. They will need to review your MRI and can discuss your options with you.Best of luck.

Roswell Plastic Surgeon

The ruptured implants, capsules and any scar tissue will need to be removed and new implants placed if you desire reaugmentation. Silicone present in lymph nodes does not require removal unless you have a painful lump that is bothering you in some way. It will not cause you any systemic health problems, so there is no need to worry.Removing and replacing the implants is not urgent and is a fairly straightforward procedure.

Ruptured implants

The ruptured implants need to be removed. It is not an emergency but the sooner the better. The older implants can cause siliconomas  (lumps) in the tissue. Make sure yu see a board certified Plastic surgeon

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured Implants

Due to the age of the implants, the implant has likely been ruptured for a while, and nothing needs to be done urgently.  I recommend contacting your insurance company to see if removal of ruptured implants is a covered benefit (doesn't happen often, but I have seen insurance companies cover that in my practice).  If so, I would consult with a plastic surgeon in your network to discuss the timing of implant removal, and possible implant replacement or other maneuvers you may desire to have a nice breast shape.  Best of luck!

-Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Implant rupture

Thank you for your question. They probably ruptured a while ago and need to be removed. You are going to be fine and please see a board certified PS as soon as you can.

Ruptured implant

I would not be overly concenred since this implant may have been ruptured for years.The older an implant is the greater the likelihood that it is ruptured so removing it is not an emergency.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant related issues.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  They will likely recommend removal of your ruptured implants, the surrounding implant capsule and any silicone gel that may have extravasated into your natural breast tissue.  You can then have new implants placed or any other breast enhancement procedure performed, such as a breast lift.  Hope this helps.