Is a certified plastic surgical nurse a title that would be beneficial to qualifying someone to inject with fillers and botox?

Wondering if someone working closely in a Plastic surgeons office has the title of RN,CPSN and has 18 years of experience injecting, teaching and is board certified, is an appropriate choice for filler/ botox injections.

Certified plastic nursing title does not exist

Thanks for your question and as best as I know, there is not a certified plastic nurse title out there that is a recognized board certification. There are many “courses” that are offered for nurses and even for doctors that give certificates of attendance that some then translate into one thing or another, but in aesthetics, we like to think board-certified dermatologists, plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeons, and facial plastic surgeons – known as the core four – are the most skilled for injecting any filler or toxin.

Experience is important and nurse injectors are very valuable team players in many offices, including mine. The skill and artistry they have can be learned over time and experience is the key for everyone. Make sure whoever is injecting your filler or toxin is skilled and experienced.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Nurse injector

There certainly are recognized organizations of plastic surgery nurses.  Some nurses have taken an injection course and are quite experienced and skilled injectors.  However, when it comes to my face, I prefer an experienced plastic surgeon to do the injection.  Nobody knows the intricacies and variations of facial muscle anatomy as well as a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon.  I am not sure why anyone who is paying for a procedure and wants an excellent result would compromise and have a nurse or non-plastic surgeon physician do cosmetic injections.  While problems and misdirected injections can happen with anyone, I have seen many dissatisfied clients come in for "fixes" after  injections by a variety of relatively inexperienced practitioners.  Buyer beware!  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Fillers injected by a nurse

There is no recognized title such as "Certified Plastic Surgery Nurse" regardless of what that person wants to call themselves. If you want to risk having a medical procedure with potential side effects and complications performed by anyone less than a physician board certified in the appropriate specialty then that is your choice and your responsibility.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical Doctor for Injections

I personally would only go to a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in the field and aware of all of the side effects and the anatomy of the treated area.  Best, Dr. Green

Nurses injecting Botox and fillers

You're paying to have expensive products injected into your face.  While the treatment is considered minimally invasive, complications can happen.  Why would you go to anyone who is less trained than a doctor?  In my office, I perform all Botox and filler injections myself and I am personally available to my patients should the rare complication arise.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers and Botox Can Be Injected At Same Time and Should be By an Experienced Physician

I would only go to an MD who is trained in the core specialities and has experinece in anatomy and complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Is a certified plastic surgical nurse a title that would be beneficial to qualifying someone to inject with fillers and botox

although being certified is nice, I think the more important thing is the amount of experience, and I think 18 years is a very good amount

Julio Garcia, MD

Nurse injector???

It is possible that a nurse can be well trained and do a good job but a physician is more likely to be well trained. If you are paying for an expensive procedure, why would you have it done by a nurse. In addition, if you have a complication or problem you will want a doctor to take care of it so it is best that you establish a relationship with someone that will see you all the way through.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Physician vs. Nurse Injector

Thank you for your question.  As with any elective procedure, please research your physician's or nurse injector's experience.  Just because the physician has a medical degree does not make him or her knowledgeable about facial anatomy or the nuances of the various #fillers or #neuromodulators (#Botox, #Dysport, #Xeomin) currently available in the U.S.  Similarly, a registered nurse who works with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist does not gain experience or knowledge by osmosis.  While we have nurses and non-core physicians allowed to inject patients in Texas, I am often surprised at the lack of knowledge of anatomy or potential complications when I am teaching these injectors.  Even core physicians (#dermatologist, #plasticsurgeon, #facialplasticsurgeon, or #oculoplasticsurgeon) who are extensively trained in residency about facial and neck anatomy must gain real life experience with all the injectable products currently available.  

Please interview your potential injector to evaluate his or her experience with fillers and neuromodulators.  Ask of his or her poor outcomes or complications.  If he or she has never had a complication, your injector does NOT have enough experience. 

In my practice, I inject each and every patient.  I evaluate every patient.  Fortunately, I am referred complications to correct.  As a result, I am cautious but able to take care of most any potential complication.  I hope you find an injector with whom you feel the ultimate confidence.  

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Nurse Qualified to Inject Botox and Fillers

Degrees do not guarantee considt good results. The nurse may be excellent but look at examples of that individual's results just as you would for a surgeon you were considering for a procedure. Having said that I have never had my nurses inject these products; I prefer to do this myself.