Stitches fell off and looks like I'm scabbing (1 week post op). Any suggestions?

Last night I tripped and felt a sharp pain in my labia - when I looked it seemed that one side had torn/lost a stitch. I had been progressing pain wise, and now I feel like I'm back at square one- my legs sometimes shake when I walk! Today after my shower it looks like both sides have scabs on them, and are spotting. Should I be worried? Will I need a revision? Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow!

Stitches fell off and looks like I'm scabbing (1 week post op).

Thank you for your question but without a picture attached it is very hard to give you advice,  I would recommend you reaching out to your surgeon immediately and scheduling an appointment for a proper evaluation.Best of luck.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  It is challenging to evaluate your condition without photographs and whether another surgery would be required .  Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Stitches Fallen Off

Hello and thank you for your question. I definitely understand your concern, and with it being only one week since your procedure it would likely be a good idea to see your surgeon in person to make sure that no real damage has been done and that healing will proceed properly. Stitches can also be replaced if needed.Here is some basic information I provide to my patients: Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. 
So, if you are worried about the sutures not yet healed and new stitches needed, or any damage having occurred in the fall that you experienced it would likely be best to see your surgeon as soon as possible. Best of luck!

Healing from labiaplasty

Hello Lauren, Hopefully you were able to see your surgeon and were reassured that you're healing well. You scabs you describe may very well be a normal process of tissue healing. Without a photo and just 1 week out from surgery - it's too early to determine if you need a revision.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Stitches fell out after 1 week

I woudl just try to relax and not stress about it until you see your doctor. A full exam will have to be done, but most of the time, a revision is not needed even if the stitches come out at a week. You should have healed quite a bit and the wound edges should stay together unless pulled apart. So don't stress, just wait and see.

W. John Bull, MD

Delayed bleeding 1 week after labiaplasty

Chill! Take a deep breath. Do what you're doing; rest, shower once a day but don't rub or disturb the surgical area. See your surgeon tomorrow. Nothing special to do except rest. Don't worry at all about the scabs-- they are "nature's dressing"and will protect your incision line. Did you do any harm? Impossible to tell without an exam or photo, but probably not! Revision? Whoa! Too early to be freaking or worrying about that. Very much most likely not. Ask your surgeon tomorrow, and relax today assured that- most likely- no damage has been done. IF there is a problem, send us a few in-focus closeup pics and we'll answer your questions!
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Stitches coming out after labiaplasty surgery

We would need a photograph to assess the incision lines. Sometime a suture will come out prematurely and often the area will still heal. Your surgeon will be able to let you know exactly what you need. Until your visit, just keep the area clean and dry and treat your pain as needed. Best of luck.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your fall.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations but because of the scabbing, increased pain, and spotting I would wait to see what your surgeon finds on an in-person examination.  Hopefully all is well and only a stitch broke, but if more of the wound separated they can also provide you with wound care instructions.  Hope all is well.