Does nipple pain after Breast Augmention ever resolve?

I had the procedure (above the muscle) 6 months ago. I am very pleased, for the most part, with the results. I had the incisions below each breast.The right nipple is fine but the left one is sentitive and painful to touch.

Doctor Answers 5

Healing hypersensitive nipples after breast augmentation

Sorry to hear about your nipple hypersensitivity.  Here is an excerpt from a book I am writing on this subject.

Though pain is a normal part of surgery, some patients experience out-of-the ordinary sensations after surgery which may resolve more quickly if proper nutritional supplements are taken.  These sensations can include hypersensitivity, electric shock type pain, sudden sharp pain, burning sensations, tingling, itching, feelings of pressure, or a feeling that insects are crawling on the skin.  These sensations are often caused by trauma or stretching of the tiny sensory nerves in the surgical area.  These nerves have a fatty insulation which gets damaged during the procedure.  This fatty sheath is mainly composed of Omega-3 fats (found in fish oil or flaxseed oil) which are seriously lacking in our diet.  Fish oil tends to have better quality Omega fats, but you must be sure that you purchase a very purified form of fish oil.  Cheap fish oil is likely to have heavy metals (such as mercury) which are nerve toxic and can make your condition worse.  Therefore, buy the purest fish oil possible.  The purest form of any type of product is referred to as “pharmaceutical grade.”

            Nutritional products that should help your nerves to heal faster include:

            1)  Pure (pharmaceutical grade if possible) fish oil  (2-4 capsules per day)

            2)  CoEnzyme Q10 (100mg twice a day)

            3)  Multivitamin

            4)  Multimineral

            5)  Alpha Lipoic Acid (250mg twice a day)

            6) Consider the homeopathic remedy called Hypericum Perforatum (30C).  You would take 3 pellets 3 times a day for 3 days.

           Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Increased sensitivity to the nipples post-op usually resolves

It is not unheard of to have hypersensitivity of the nipples after breast augmentation, even when the incisons are placed under the breasts.  This is most likely due to the fact that the nerves supplying the nipples get stretched and/or swollen as a result of the surgery.  Nerve injuries can take months, or even over a year to completely resolve, but when the sensation is present, we can be pretty confident that the nerves at least weren't cut, and this should resolve.  One trick I use for my patients is from my days as a hand surgeon where we used to deal with severe nerve injuries and the resultant hypersensitivity on a daily basis.  The tendency is always to try to cover these areas up and not allow anything to touch them.  The truth of the matter is that this is actually the wrong thing to do if we want sensation to return to normal faster.  The more we cover the nipples or use silicone pads or "pasties" to keep them from being touched, the more the hypersensitivity persists, or even worsens.  This is because the brain is not getting the proper signals from the nerves, and our interpretation of the sensation becomes abnormal.  In hand surgery we have our patients perform "desensitization exercises" which consist of intentional stimulation of the affected area in a controlled manner.  We might start out by using something soft like felt or cotton balls and gradually increase the touch or the rubbing of the affected hand or fingers over things like denim, canvas, or other rough surfaces.  We might have our patients sift their hand through bowls of dried beans, rice, or oats to get different sensations as they can tolerate.  This gradually "re-trains" the brain to receive sensory input from the injured nerves, and eventually the "volume control" gets adjusted properly.  With my breast surgery patients I tell them to get some nice smelling and feeling body butter or other kind of lubricating cream, and gently massage their hypersensitive nipples two or three times per day, first beginning with just laying the hand on the nipple if it's too sensitive to move it, and then gradually increasing pressure and speed until they are briskly massaging the nipple.  Eventually the brain readjusts the input here too, and the hypersensitivity resolves.  I have had great success with this simple maneuver, and I can't think of a lady who has had persistent hypersensitivity after doing this such that we had to do anything about it.  Check with your own surgeon first to be sure that nothing else is going on to contribute to the sensory disorder, and if not, be sure that they are on board with trying this.  If so, give it a try and see if it works for you.  In general, though, these things will ultimately resolve even if we don't do anything; I just think this helps speed the process along a bit.  Best of luck!

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 87 reviews

Nipple pain after Breast augmentation

 The pain could be hypersensitivity due to the nerves that are present in the tissue.  Many women complain about this condition but it usually subsides within 2-3 months.  

John M. Trupiano, MD, FACS
Troy Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation, when will it resolve?

     Occasionally, after breast augmentation, the nipple may have increased sensitivity or pain.  This hypersensitivity is almost always temporary and will diminish after tissue relaxation and complete healing.  Resolution usually occurs within 6-9 months of the surgery.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Does nipple pain after Breast Augmention ever resolve?

Thank you for your question.  Yes hypersensitivity of the nipples is common after breast augmentation and almost always resolves.  To my knowledge 7 months is the longest that has been reported however your sensitivity should resolve in time.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and advice.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.