Can I get silicone implants at 20 or 21? (Photo)

I have mild tuberous breast and want to fix them. I have done research and am now searching for a doctor... but I read that you have to be 22 to get silicone. Is that true?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Your options

There are two great options to consider:
1. IDEAL implants - these are newly released "hybrid implants" double lumen saline implants made to feel like silicone
2. I will place silicone implants in patients under 22 yrs old but first have an informed consent and have them sign a waiver that they are aware that they are being used in "off label' FDA use.
#IDEALimplants
#breastaugmentation
#breastimplants

Silicone

Thank you for the question and photos and YES you do qualify for silicone implants so find your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

FDA age label for silicone breast implants

Yes, you can get silicone implants under the age of 22. If they are for reconstructive uses, it is not off label. If your cosmetic purposes, you simply need to sign an off-label use consent. 

When the FDA studies were performed,  the lower age limit was arbitrarily set at 22 years old.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants under age 22

Silicone implants were re-introduced to the general market place in 2006.  One of the restrictions placed was that they were not to be used in women under age 22.  There has been speculation why the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) placed this restriction on younger women, but no logical conclusion has been reached.  Imagine that, our government did something that didn't make any sense!

Any way, the silicone implants are wonderful and now almost 10 years after being released, are almost exclusively the implant of choice with less wrinkling and rippling then saline implants, a more natural feel and very low rupture rates.  We have been using them in women under the age of 22 as an "off label" use of the device.  Medications and medical devices are used "off label" commonly by physicians, as long as the patient receives informed consent and understands that the FDA considers the use of the device "off label" then this is an acceptable practice.

In your situation, there is a tubular shape to your breasts and a re-shaping procedure will need to be performed at the same time as the implant surgery.  Size and style of implant will need to be chosen before the procedure to meet your expectations.  This is an outpatient procedure with a rapid recovery.  Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon who performs this type of procedure frequently.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Breast Implants and age restriction of 22

Dear Ms. Elaine3615,

Thank you for your questions and photos.

The FDA unfortunately made a decision based on patients ages of their study protocol to make (to many plastic surgeons) a arbitrary decision to select age 22 as a criteria to use 
silicone breast implants.
Their have been in the past "loop holes" to use silicone breast implants for congenital deformities (you have a mild case of tubular breasts=constricted breasts) and reconstructive breast cases.

I suggest you make out a list of your questions and select several nude "model" photos of what your desired goals/look would be and then schedule several different consultative appointments with experienced Plastic Surgeons who are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).
My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Can I get silicone implants at 20 or 21?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think your breast photos do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tubular (constricted) his breast. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short. Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. 

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Therefore, I find that I DO use silicone gel breast implants for patients under the age of 22 frequently.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Silicone?

The FDA has only approved the use of silicone breast implants for women 22 and older. However, you can get them younger than that. But the use is considered "off label". I would suggest that you find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) whose breast work you like and call the office to find out their policy on this. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Silicone in

Thanks for your question.  Although the FDA recommendation is that silicone implants be used in women 22 or older, you certainly can get silicone at an earlier age.  My understanding is that the youngest patient in the core studies was 22, hence the gae cut off. It would be considered "off label" use, and my void manufacture's warranty (although I have never seen this actually be a problem.) I use silicone in patients under 22, but indicate in my informed consent that it is an "off label use."  Best Regards.

FDA recommendation

Thank you for the question.  FDA recommendations state that silicone implants are best for women 22 ears of age or older.  It is not illegal however, to use this but this is out of the suggestion.  If you are willing to take the risk, I'm sure there are a lot of doctors who perform this with women below 22.  It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS