What Could've Caused my Uneven Eyelids? (photo)

Over the last few years my left eyelid became droopy. In the morning and evenings it is especially noticeable. I had lazy eye,amblyopia in early childhood. Recently went to eye doctor and he said it is not ptosis that is only cosmetic concern. I am 25 years old. What is this?and what is the best solution?Thank You in advance!

Doctor Answers 3

Mild eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do have mild left upper eyelid ptosis. It can be due to many factors but usually related to relaxation of the levator muscle which is responsible for lifting the eyelid. The eyelid can be lifted (ptosis surgery) but it would be considered due to the mild nature of your eyelid ptosis without significant effect on vision.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Questionable droopy eyelid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Questionable droopy eyelid in the photos and you look too good to have anything done. Leave them alone. They are pretty eyes and need nothing. You will always find someone to operate!

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Extremely subtle ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What you are describing  [and presenting in the photo] is quite subtle. Most cases of ptosis in younger individuals is a congenital [or childhood] ptosis, that you likely realized as you became older. In some patients long term contact lens use can lead to a droopy eyelid, when the eyelid muscle becomes "stretched out" or "slips" over time.

Rarely, it may be the early manifestation of neurological condition. This is very rare, and I doubt that it relates to you, but is one of the possibilities of an acquired ptosis.

Your eye doctor [was he an ophthalmologist (MD surgeon) or an optometrist (not an MD or Surgeon)]  is correct in that currently, this is not affecting your vision and is more of a cosmetic concern.

For a more thorough evaluation, I recommend you consult an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastic surgeon. You can find one near you via ASOPRS do org.

Good luck


A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.