Scar after eyelid surgery. Is there any cream I can use to thin out the scar?

I had my upper eyelids done about 9 years ago. I also had the bags under my eyelids removed. The bags have come back and there is an extra area of skin on my upper left eyelid..It makes my eye look droopy. Is there anything I can do to thin out the skin other than surgery?

Laxity in the Upper Eyelids

Dear seche5, A photograph would be helpful to give you further advice however from what you are saying it sounds like you have some laxity in the upper lid skin which most often can be improved with blepharoplasty surgery. If the laxity is caused from the brows dropping and not from excess skin then the other option is possibly a browlift. See examples in the video above and link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Droopy eyelids 9 years after surgery

Thank you for your question.  Recurrence of excess and droopy periorbital tissue is not uncommon several years after surgery since the aging process continues.  Revisional eyelid surgery may be an option when indicated.  Without a picture, it is difficult to determine the best options to address your concerns.  However, as a rule of thumb, chemical and laser treatments are not performed on the upper eyelids.

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow lift or volume

so recurrent upper lid drooping is either what it says it is or alternatively brow descent (treated by brow lift) or orbit volume changes. These can be improved by augmenting the orbital upper rim with fat or filler. Hope that helps. Adam Goodwin

Extra skin 9 years after blepharoplasty

Without a photo, it is difficult to comment on exactly what procedure would be ideal for you. However, based on the fact that your original surgery was nine years ago and our faces continue to age, it is likely that a revision could be considered. Lasers and chemical peels to tighten skin are not advised for the upper eyelids as the healing can be unpredictable and this is a difficult area to treat without potential damage to the eyes. Sometimes a simple "pinch skin excision" can be performed in the office under local anesthesia and would not be as involved as your original surgery. If the "bags" in your lower eyelids have returned to some degree but the skin is still tight, it may be possible to place some hyaluronic acid filler in the tear trough area to smooth the junction between the lower eyelid and cheek. Post some pictures for more specific recommendations. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon