I had lipo on my flanks a week ago and they look the same.

I know there is still swelling but shouldn't I see some reduction since fat was removed from there? My love handles look exactly the same as before my procedure and I doubt the swelling will take it down a few inches. Did my surgeon do a bad job? I'm afraid I spent all this money for no results.

Why don't I see any difference after my lipo one week ago?

Unfortunately, there is a misunderstanding about the results of liposuction, no matter which type is used and I have used all these-Vaser,Smart Lipo, Slim Lipo,water jet, Ultrasonic,Gentle wave,"newer form of liposuction", etc. All of these cause trauma to the tissues and therefore produce swelling. I usually tell me patients that the next day, the swelling is less and then because of trauma, inflammation, fluid gain, the swelling begins to increase to the maximum at about one week. Then, it begins to decrease and about the 10th day, your clothes begin to fit looser. 50-60% of the swelling goes in about one month when most of the black and blue,yellow goes if there is any. The remaining swelling goes over months until one year! During this time, there is hardness of the areas treated, irregularities, uneveness, numbness. These usually all resolve with time! If the area has been treated with lipo previously, then it takes longer for swelling to go down. Also, it takes a bit longer in males. 

Finally, if the lower extremities, like the calves, ankles and knees are treated, then it also takes longer because those parts are dependent. 

So, what you are experiencing is probably perfectly normal and your plastic surgeon should have communicated that to you! 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Flanks

Thank you for asking your question.

It takes time to heal and for swelling to subside. You will not see results straight away. Your flanks are still swollen. If you stay concerned I would suggest contacting your Doctor.

We wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Recovery from liposuction in flanks

Congratulations on your liposuction! most patients are eager to see immediate results but bare in mind, liposuction is a surgical procedure that will have side-effects and complications such as swelling, bruising and redness. Often patients are bloated post-procedure due to the anesthesia and it takes weeks for that to flush out of the system. As long as you trusted a certified doctor, have faith that results with appear in due course. 

Neil Sadick, MD

Too Soon To Tell--Add Venus Legacy, Cellutone, Exilis Ultra to aftercare

It's too soon to tell. You most likely have swelling after your procedure which can last 3-6 months. I recommend adding hyperbaric oxygen and lymphatic massage along with your compression to help decrease swelling.  I also recommend adding coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and improve the skin's appearance. If you're concerned about your results, follow up with your doctor.  If you want more contouring you may want to consider a 4D VASER HI DEF procedure. Best, Dr. Emer

No result at a week

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

You will not see your result for weeks. Your flanks are swollen and they will look the same or worse until the swelling goes down.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD