Contemplating getting a revision rhinoplasty. Is it too risky? (Photo)

I had rhinoplasty surgery three years ago and still feel are not quite happy with the projection of the tip and the wideness of the of of my nose, however I am not sure it's work the risk and don't want to have an overdone look? Any advice?

Should I have a redo of my nose?

A revision of most surgeries is more difficult for there is scar tissue involved. It usually takes longer for the surgery as well as the healing. You should consult with an experienced plastic surgeon to help make your decision. It can be rewarding and maybe the first surgeon did not do enough. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps consider nonsurgical revision rhinoplasty.

Dear jn621 in Costa Mesa, California:

You are an attractive lady and the nose, frankly, looks pretty reasonable. The question is whether or not a surgical rhinoplasty is preferable to a nonsurgical rhinoplasty. Nonsurgical rhinoplasties are those office procedures whereby, using fillers, temporary or permanent, one can achieve the result that they wish. With respect to projection of the tip, that would lend itself very well to fillers. Regarding the width, that is something that has to be evaluated. At the time of consultation you should get a good sense about it.

Visit websites of doctors who super-specialize in nasal surgery and with a particular expertise, of course, in using fillers. There are various means for determining whether or not you would be a good candidate, including computer imaging. You want to explore all possibilities.

Yes, revision surgical rhinoplasty can be done, but there is the additional time, expense, and some degree of uncertainty as to the outcome.

Do your homework. Read books. Look at those before and after galleries on the websites. Look at websites rich in both surgical and nonsurgical revision rhinoplasty procedures.

When you go for consultation, bring a friend or family member with you. You cannot have too many eyes and ears, because you need to learn a lot. Prepare by compiling a written list of questions for the doctor and take notes when you are there with respect to recording the answers. All of the time you spend up front is well worth it, particularly since now you face the possibility of either an additional surgery or additional nonsurgical procedures.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Robert Kotler, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

It is hard to evaluate your nose without pictures from all angles.  However, you are right in terms of your concerns; revision rhinoplasties are more difficult technically speaking.  But depending on what you want, it is still possible to achieve your goals.  I would recommend that you see a surgeon and discuss your concerns and the changes you might want.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to straighten and narrow the bridge line

A full set of facial photographs are required of the nose, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. The bridge line can be narrowed  and straightened with osteotomies. In addition, the tip can also be narrowed as well.  To adequately determine the projection of the tip requires a side profile photograph.

Revision rhinoplasty

You should have a low concern for complications in the hands of an experienced surgeon.  Exactly what can be done with your nose depends on an in-office exam.  How much of the thickening is scar tissue, thickened skin and framework is important to give a realistic opinion as to what can be expected.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Nose revision surgery

It is very difficult to evaluate your current "deformity" from these photos. A detailed clinical evaluation would help. However, revision rhinoplasty requires more expertise and time than primary rhinoplasty; for that reason finding an experienced plastic surgeon, nose specialist is a must. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Is Revision Rhinoplasty Too Risky?

I'm sorry I cannot evaluate your concerns with just 2 frontal views when you're smiling but I cannot imagine why a revision in the hands of a true specialist would be too risky to justify refinement in a nose like yours. An experienced surgeon should never give you a "done" look.

Revision rhinoplasty

I think that depending on the specific factors that you wish to address, there should be no problem undergoing a revision thinoplasty to improve them. If you talk about the projection and the width, those can be handled without having any sort of "done" look. I would suggest meeting with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon so they can go over your options in person after examining your nose. 

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon