If I get a breast reduction, will I still be able to breastfeed?

I was assigned female at birth, but being as masculine as I am, I don't feel comfortable in my own skin. I considered getting top surgery, but then realised that I want to breastfeed my kids when I have them. My new plan is to slim down and get a breast reduction so my breasts are as small as possible. I'm fairly certain I'm a B cup (or smaller). What's the smallest size I can reduce to, and will I still be able to breastfeed if I get the reduction done?

Will I be able to nurse after a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question and if you were born a female (XX chromosomes)  you most likely will be able to nurse.  If you are a B cup and want to go smaller, you will most likely remove most of your breast tissue and you will not be able to nurse.  I tell all patients regardless of the size of the reduction that they may not be able to nurse after this procedure.  I would recommend you wait until after you have children to have any surgery on your breasts.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

If you have not yet had any children, then we don't know if you can breast feed or not. But if you are a B cup which is small, and want a further reduction, it is unlikely you will be able to breast feed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question.Loss or diminished ability to breast-feed is a known risk of all types of breast surgery.  It is difficult to quantify the risk associated with breast reduction surgery; much will depend on exactly what technique is utilized and how much breast tissue is removed.  There  are measures that your plastic surgeon can take to preserve relevant breast tissue.  Overall, the majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery will be able to breast-feed. Ultimately, timing to proceed with breast reduction surgery will be a personal decision that only you can make after careful consideration of pros/cons associated with pre and post-pregnancy options. Best wishes.