Is it safe/normal to perform a breast reduction in a Dr. Office, not in a hospital?

I recently went for a BR consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. I specifically went to this surgeon cause she's close by & female. She's really kind, and tried to save me some money(because I'm paying for the whole procedure myself). She ended up knocking the total down to $6200. However, the reason it's only $6200 is cause she's not performing the surgery in an actual hospital, it's going to be performed in office. She did tell me that it's NY state inspected, Is this safe/normal?

Breast reduction in an office...

It is actually quite common to perform these procedures in an office based surgery center. It is important to know if the place is accredited and by what organization (then you can check it). The doctor also needs to be on staff at a nearby hospital in case there are any problems.

Breast reduction in Dr's office

Yes these procedures are commonly done on an outpatient basis at surgery centers. You should certainly make sure that this surgeon's surgical suite is AAAASF certified and accredited, you should specifically ask for these. The doctor should also privileges at a nearby hospital. Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Breast reductions are often performed in office surgical suites by plastic surgeons.  Make sure that the surgical suite is either AAAASF or JCAHO accredited and that the surgeon is an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with nearby hospital privileges.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Safetly

Safety is always first in my book.  Yes, this is safe as long as it is an accredited Operating Room by JCAHO or AAASF. If you are hesitant, you should discuss this further by your board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast reducion in an office OR

As long as the OR is full accredited and you are healthy, then it is ok. I perform them in my fully accredited OR in my office as well. If the patient has medical problems that I feel make it safer to do in the hospital, then I choose to do it there. Best of luck.

Cosmetic surgery in the office

Hello and thank you for the question. Breast reductions are commonly performed in an outpatient surgery center or hospital setting. Typically hospital-based procedures are much more expensive than an outpatient surgery center or office-based Surgery Center.I would suggest to you that it is perfectly safe to have this done as an outpatient in an office based Surgery Center as long as the surgery Center's facilities are fully licensed and accredited and the procedure is done under the care of an anesthesiologist during the procedure.

This is different than saying the office is done in a regular office-based treatment room. That would not be safe.Every year board certified plastic surgeons who are members of the American Society of plastic surgeons need to sign an affidavit stating that we will do all of our surgeries at a certified surgery center or Hospital basedCenter. I assume that is what you were meaning

As always best to be healthy, no smoking, and if you have any health problems that they would be managed by your primary care physician. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon