Correcting Tuberous Breast, Snoopy Deformity; What Are My Options? (photo)

I am wondering what can be done to correct my breast? About how much will it cost? How long will it take to recover?

Doctor Answers 5

Tuberous breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do have a severe grade of the tuberous breast deformity.  As the other doctors have indicated, this requires releasing the constricted breast tissue, reducing the nipple-areolar complex, and placing an implant to correct the volume deficiency.  Recovery is usually 4-5 days, with restricted aerobic activity for 2 weeks.  Cost varies depending upon your location.  I suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  When you call, make sure that you mention tuberous breasts to ensure that your surgeon has experience with this challenging problem.  Good luck, /nsn.

Correction of tuberous breasts requires very skillful surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I am sorry to worry you, but you have very difficult anatomy.  Using breast implants is the easy part, and is done at the end to give you some volume.  The hard part is 1) internally correcting the shape by releasing the tight lower breast tissue, 2) moving the breast tissue inside, out of the puffy areolas, and 3) trying to bring the breasts a little closer together.

Ask to see before and after pictures when you go for consultations.  Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Yes, your pictures demonstrate classic characteristics of the tuberous (constricted) breasts.

Tuberous breasts have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The final result will take months to see and you will need to be patient.

You need to visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can show you lots of examples of their work (especially patients who have similar starting points) so that you feel comfortable with your choice to proceed.  

Each surgeon’s fees will be different depending on many factors.  Factors such as the certification of the surgeon, the experience of the surgeon, if the surgery is performed in the office or in a hospital / outpatient surgery center, if performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia and who is administering the anesthesia.  Don’t choose your surgeon ONLY by price; make sure they can achieve your goals.

Surgery to correct tuberous breast (constricted base) deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tuberous breast, or constricted base deformity, can be corrected with the use of breast implants and peri-areolar skin tightening.  The surgery involves making a pocket under the breast, scoring the deep surface of the breast tissue so it can fan out over the implant, and then tightening the skin around the areolae to create a cone shaped breast.  Use a surgeon who has had experience with this and can show you a portfolio of pre- and post-op results.

Improvement of the tuberous breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have what is referred to as a tuberous or a constricted breast. This is basically a change in the development of the breast where the lower pole remains tight and causes the developing breast to protrude through the middle of the stretchier breast (the center), The typical correction involved both a breast augmentation and a peri-areolar procedure to tighten up the central breast around a smaller areola and lowering the tighten lower breast. You best approach will be to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and provide their input to what your best path will be.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.