Correcting a High Tummy Tuck Scar

How low can my scar be revised? I am very unhappy with the height of my Tummy Tuck scar. I was told by my ASPS plastic surgeon that he can revise the scar by doing another Tummy Tuck procedure minus the other stuff. If I have no extra skin now; how would this be possible? What are my alternatives in correcting this?

Doctor Answers 3

How low can you go? Probably too early to do anything now.

What is it that you are seeking to improve? The height of the scar? Your result seems to be acceptable. It seems way too early to do anything at this point in time. Your best bet is to wait unitl it is soft. Once the scar is soft (3-4 months), sit down and see how much extra skin accumulates in the pubic area. The amount of loose skin here will determine how much lower your scar can be lowered.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

It may be difficult, best to wait

You should try everything you can to improve the nature and character of the scar as it may be difficult to lower the scar significantly. Silicone strips, and lasers have both been very effective in our practice. I would hesitate to use steroid injections as this often widens the scar, but you should consider this as a last resort before trying surgery.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD
Henderson Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 299 reviews

Anchoring sutures

Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.