How to Correct Surgical Lip Damage

I was born with Nager Syndrome. About 9 years ago, I went under reconstructive plastic surgery for my eyes and cheeks. Well, the right side of my upper lip basically disappeared and my lower right ride plumped up more than the left side. I believe there was nerve damage. Now as a 21 year old, my lips are not even and not all seems to be there, and I would like to know if there is anything that can be done?

Doctor Answers 4

Lip Reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Even with the excellent pictures you provided, it is impossible to determine the best approach to correct your problem. There are two methods to do so. First is to deal directly with the lip. Secondly is to modify further the underlying bone. Finally, you may need both. Seek a consultation from a Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in dealing with craniofacial problems. There should be a number of such in your area, particularly at the med schools. You can start at, go to “Choose your ASPS Member Surgeon,” click advanced search and click “Cleft-Lip and Palate Repair” and “Skull/Facial Bone Reconstruction” and your area or New York or Boston. Ask for experience with your problem before making an appointment.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Lip Fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos!  I definitely think that you would benefit from lip fillers!  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon and see what your options are!  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 100 reviews

Correcting Surgical Lip damage

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, your lips can be fuller by using either temporary fillers or IMHO, more appropriately Lip Implants.  Alloderm is a semi-permanent implant that lasts ~ 7 months and there's a soft silastic lip implant that is permanent.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

You might also like...

Lip problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would seek consutlation at a univeristy hospital with a strong craniofacial department.  If the lip is the only issue for you, sometimes fillers can augment  the lip alone, but an evaluation of the face is key to determine the best thing for you.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.